Why your username?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Funny how people choose User names...

Mines as simple as they come....

R!f@@......A fancy way of writing the first 5 letters of my name..serves as a pretty nice nick too..

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
Its a long story and I will make it real short.
I was born near and grew up in downtown Memphis.
I loved hearing all the music on the streets and knew someday I could do that.
My cousin Joey gave me a cast down Conn Alto and I played it day and night.
I was told to play it outside when I played too loud. People seemed to like it
so I kept doing it.
People started tossing dimes and quarters and even dollars my way.
I was all of 12 at the time but realized it was more lucrative than cleaning fish or toilets or delivering Grit newspapers.
Well I had the living snot beat out of me more than a few times by certain people that wanted my bounty and that they were pissed that I was cutting in on their action.
Memphis back then was by no means the pretty city it is now.
Most times after the trouncing I had taken i was back at it the next day, blowing louder than the day before.
The others swore I had some kind of voodoo mojo in me to be so unafraid
(I was scared crapless but was hooked on the attention and gratification).
It became sort of a nickname. ok by me if they thought I was a bit possessed.
I wasnt getting beat on.
When I was 15 the family moved to Chicago. Dad and Mom bought me a brand new Selmer mk VI (1965) I still have it.
The nickname has stuck around too.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
WORST PLACE EVER! FULL OF HATE! Good BBQ though... :D

now thats funny ;)

"What makes good spaghetti?"
"Why, its the LOVE they put into making it!"

"What makes the BBQ so good?
"Why, its the HATE they put into making it!"

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Memphis is not such a bad place, not even in the early 1960's. My mom's family had a small barge business, and I spent the Summers there doing whatever needed to be done. Mud Island was not a tourist place then. It was where you never asked someone's name or questions. Some of the real employees lived there and signed their names with X's. The first time I had to countersign, I didn't know why the invoice was handed to me. But it was easy to catch on.

Still have family there. The only thing I didn't like about Memphis was that temperature (°F) plus relative humidity always seemed to be ≥180.

John

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
No, he was the guy that looked at your underwear. ;)

So, shortubs, we didn't get an answer about your username yet..
Yeah back in post #63 -
"Shortbus - it's been so hard for me to learn this(electronics), that I feel like I am on the short bus going to school."

(No offense meant toward some one thats learning challenged)

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Yeah back in post #63 -
"Shortbus - it's been so hard for me to learn this(electronics), that I feel like I am on the short bus going to school."

(No offense meant toward some one thats learning challenged)
retched is dyslexic - he wants to know why you chose the name "shortubs".:D

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
Memphis is not such a bad place, not even in the early 1960's. My mom's family had a small barge business, and I spent the Summers there doing whatever needed to be done. Mud Island was not a tourist place then. It was where you never asked someone's name or questions. Some of the real employees lived there and signed their names with X's. The first time I had to countersign, I didn't know why the invoice was handed to me. But it was easy to catch on.

Still have family there. The only thing I didn't like about Memphis was that temperature (°F) plus relative humidity always seemed to be ≥180.

John
You are right.
Up until the 70s nobody had air conditioning so everyone would head down to the banks of the river on both sides (tenn + arkansas) and fish or frolic.
playing guitars, banjos, harmonicas. And pass the bottles around.
There were conversations and differences of opinions and something more.

Now it is a pretty city.
the wrong kind of money is in town.
it is no longer honest working man's money.

it has a long history of corruption (mayor crump is still a villain)
but now the sense of evil pervades the nightlife.
I am by no means a naive tourist to my beloved hometown and having
been a musician there I know of the vices of the city.

before times one would sell their soul (robert johnson ilk) to become
famous or talented or rich.
now the soul is sold to survive another day.

oppression has never stopped, just the face of the oppressor has changed.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Mine's an old one and maybe naive too, but it's stuck and now I use it on every site I sign on.

The first component is from George, my first name. Namely its first three letters, in pure arcade coin-op era fashion. Not that I lived it, only through MAME.

The second component is obviously racer. I love racing computer games and that's just about it.

The nickname Georacer was first used in Need for Speed Underground back in 2001, when I was 12. I didn't put much thought in it, as it was a local only game. Later, I started using it in more and more games and it just stuck.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Mine's an old one and maybe naive too, but it's stuck and now I use it on every site I sign on.

The first component is from George, my first name. Namely its first three letters, in pure arcade coin-op era fashion. Not that I lived it, only through MAME.

The second component is obviously racer. I love racing computer games and that's just about it.
I've always thought it had to do with a "geocaching 10k run" or something like that. :D

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
@ maxpower97
Unfortunately no. I 've always thought about subscribing on iRacing though. Obviously a very realistic simulator and well arranged races. But I currently don't have a PayPal and it's very likely that if I get involved the world will never see me again. So I 'll pass... for now.
Are you by any chance subscribed to iRacing? Can you describe the experience?

@thatoneguy
What's a "geocaching 10k run"?

Last edited: