Why is the emitter of a NPN-BJT much smaller than the collector?

Felix65656565

Joined Jun 13, 2017
I've seen in Sedra&Smith or here that the collector of a NPN-BJT is much bigger than the emitter why is that so?

The only thing what comes in my mind about it, is that when forward biased the base-collector "diode" has a lower voltage drop compared to the base-emitter "diode" given the same current.

On the other hand when we would make it the opposite, e.g. emitter bigger than collector the bjt would be better suited as a switch no? Since we could have $v_{ve} = 0$ and still $v_C/v_E > 0$.

Of course bjt's are not always a used as switch's, but are are my calculations correct in essence?

PS: This is my first question, is there something like math jax? Any math formatting tools?

Felix65656565

Joined Jun 13, 2017
Actually already the forth slide supports my claim. Perhaps I should clarify that when I was talking about the collector being bigger I especially meant the crossover area between collector/base being bigger. Actually this coincides with the overall volume of the according region in the examples I've seen, and also the one showed in the slides, since the outer n-region/collector often somewhat surrounds the base, who itself surrounds the emitter.

I just stumbled about his Quora question, that has some nice answers to my question.

I'd still like to know if my assumptions regarding the bjt used as a switch are correct in essence.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have sometimes been wondering about circuits where transistors work with C and E swapped or abnormal currents flowing out of the base instead of the base used more like a control gate with negible current.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Actually already the forth slide supports my claim.
I read that differently. The left drawing shows equal areas for the emitter and collector, but it's a cross section, so it doesn't prove anything.:oops:
I'd still like to know if my assumptions regarding the bjt used as a switch are correct in essence.
Apparently the right person hasn't discovered your Thread, yet.:(