Who is stll making RPN calculators, that is besides the HP-12?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I recently trashed my HP-35S because of a very flaky keyboard. From looking around the internet it seems that the only Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) calculator still being manufactured is the HP-12 financial calculator. Not quite what I am looking for.

Is this the end of RPN in engineering calculators?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I recently trashed my HP-35S because of a very flaky keyboard. From looking around the internet it seems that the only Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) calculator still being manufactured is the HP-12 financial calculator. Not quite what I am looking for.

It depends on your definition of "calculator". Does your definition include Apps?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Have that for my phone, but when staring at the clipboard and punching in numbers I need the tactile feedback from the keyboard to minimize errors. The buzzing of the pager motor doesn't quite do it for me.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Have that for my phone, but when staring at the clipboard and punching in numbers I need the tactile feedback from the keyboard to minimize errors. The buzzing of the pager motor doesn't quite do it for me.

The HP 35s can be switched between the two entry methods and it has a keyboard that is familiar to people used to RPN.

The HP website has virtually no info on the details - Wikipedia is the best source.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_35s

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I have a very complete, programmable Reverse-Polish calculator app for my windows PC that I've used for many years (long before they were called apps).
I began using it when the keys on my HP-42s started failing (greatest calculator I've ever had).
The only think the HP-42s did that the Excalibur can't is the Solve function.
The Excalibur apparently is still available here.

The numbers, the basic four functions, and Enter can be entered from the computer keyboard/keypad.
I've added programmed keys in my custom Bank to do things like V→db, dB→V, 1/2πx, and 1-e^-x.
It has 10 different banks of functions, as shown, which change all the keys on the right to perform those functions (Scientific keys shown).

upload_2017-4-28_9-50-47.png upload_2017-4-28_9-53-29.png

Last edited:

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009
I still have my HP15C, and use the 'Free 15C' emulator on the iPhone.

I bookmarked this http://www.swissmicros.com/index.php some time ago in case I got desperate, but they seem a bit small for easy use.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Mind clarifying? o_O

WAG is a wild-ass guess (usually an experienced engineer willing to throw out an estimate)

SWAG is Silly Wild-ass Guess (either less information is available to base the estimate on, or estimate is made by someone with less experience than needed).

I use PANOOMA when I can't get an engineer to give a wag or a swag - because opening ones mouth and throwing out a number can be difficult. So, knowing nothing, I Throw out my PANOOMA number and I suddenly have plenty of opinions whether my number is too high or too low. suddenly, we have an estimate.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
In other words, PANOOMA encourages participation... good call ;)
In other words, prior starting your brains your ass must come into play. Go figure!

Few months ago I watched a TED video explaining a similar procedure to estimate the weight of, IIRC, a bull. Basically, plain average of the summation of guesses from everyone in a group. And then I recalled, from when I was a cadet in the Academy: basic instruction for the marines to be, teaching to estimate distance to a target exactly like that: averaging guesses from all platoon members.

Personal remark: no matter how good the procedure could be, the guessers must have a valid minimal idea of what they are dealing with.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Here are a couple examples of solutions for an RPN calculator. I did the hardware and a friend did the software.
The boxy one is an HP41C replacement. The other one is a version of the HP42S in a much better enclosure.

Attachments

cirbaf

Joined Mar 3, 2021

Check out “swissmicros”. They specialize in ONLY RPN CALCULATORS, based on HP models, with updated HW and there own OS and updatable firmware. Very good build quality!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
WAG is a wild-ass guess (usually an experienced engineer willing to throw out an estimate)

SWAG is Silly Wild-ass Guess (either less information is available to base the estimate on, or estimate is made by someone with less experience than needed).
I have always known the S in SWAG to mean "scientific". The idea being the speaker uses expertise to *conjecture* wildly as opposed to mere ignorant guessing by unqualified laymen.

cirbaf

Joined Mar 3, 2021

I just wrote a general new post/ question referencing a company that makes NEW RPN calculators made in Switzerland). They’re ONLY RPN mode (which is the ONLY way to go, IMHO), but with new HW, etc.

I asked if this was the only company left, as well, but their build quality IS excellent!

Last edited by a moderator:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Brief update: I now have four of the cheapie HP-35S calculators, three of them have fine keyboards (at the moment) a fourth I just recently retired to the pile of "less than great" calculators. I hope this will be a lifetime supply. I use algebraic entry calculators and have several of those but their use doesn't come naturally to me. RPN works for me.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Brief update: I now have four of the cheapie HP-35S calculators, three of them have fine keyboards (at the moment) a fourth I just recently retired to the pile of "less than great" calculators. I hope this will be a lifetime supply. I use algebraic entry calculators and have several of those but their use doesn't come naturally to me. RPN works for me.
Here you go, Dick; or some unobtainium.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
When my old HP-42s developed a bad key I was heart-broken, but then I discovered this site, which makes a perfect replica app for both computers and phones.
It looks and acts exactly like the 42.
On my phone it generates a click when you press a key.

One neat command on the 42 is the Solver function.
You can enter an equation with several variables into it, and it will then iteratively solve for any one of the unknowns.

For example, below are a couple of screen snips from the app on my computer, showing a program I entered (labeled RC→F) for the relation between R, C, and their corner frequency.
You enter any two of the variables, and it will solve for the third.
The solution for the frequency on the right is for values of R=1kΩ and C=1µF I entered.

1670525000462.png ___1670525387211.png