Which technology is right for smart home automation

daljeet795

Joined Jul 2, 2018
Hi,
My main interest is to develop smart home automation. There are many ways to obtain automation. Automation can be achieved by Wi-Fi, IR, GSM, Bluetooth and many other technologies. Now i'm in the planning stage and i haven't bought anything because i think it's better to have a good plan and then build everything.

Which technology is right for smart home automation ?

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Not an expert here but if I look at products offered in consumer marketplace
seems WiFi (IOT) and BT most common. Still some PLC (Power Line Communications),
not sure what that market looks like now.

Regards, Dana.

daljeet795

Joined Jul 2, 2018
Not an expert here but if I look at products offered in consumer marketplace
seems WiFi (IOT) and BT most common.
Regards, Dana.
Hi Dana, I also found mostly WiFi (IOT) and Bluetooth are being used in many application.

What are the advantage of WiFi over Bluetooth in home automation

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Bluetooth is for short range only, typically over a few metres.
IOT WiFi allows control from any remote location globally.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Don't go with Bluetooth, it is unreliable as there are only two 'reasonably robust' stacks in existence- and you can't afford to license them. Broadcom owns one, I don't remember who owns the others. Bluetooth was never clearly delineated as a standard at the appropriate time so is rife with proprietary variations (stacks) and virtually all but the two primaries are unreliable- meaning, comm problems as well as usually a failure to mate past a certain time frame.

Here's a link to why you don't use bluetooth, read the whole thread--

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14752719

Last edited:

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I have good luck with X10, but am changing to WiFi now (Sonoff) but am looking at 433mhz.
The benefit to WiFi is that every thing in the house/shop/farm is now on it.
I only have 4 of the Sonoff TH16 devices. I can see & control them from anywhere with a phone.

Last edited:

daljeet795

Joined Jul 2, 2018
IOT WiFi allows control from any remote location globally.
The benefit to WiFi is that every thing in the house/shop/farm is now on it. I can see & control them from anywhere with a phone.
I have one doubt if your IoT device that uses Wi-Fi losing its internet connection for some time then you are not able to see or control them.

How we can fix this issue

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
WiFi can be used for local connections using the router without the internet if configured properly, I think.

Some automations, like Amazon Echo, have to be connected to the internet however, since their smarts is located on the cloud.

Last edited: