Which component to cool on this buck converter?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi,
Checking the spec' it shows the module size as Size: 20 x 11 x 5 mm

So I would say all the module needs cooling.

Did you read the reviews, some poor results.
E

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Just Mount it in front of a small Fan,
Everything on the Board, including the blank bottom of the Board, needs Air-Flow.

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
If the board can supply 3A, this means it is on its limit at this output current and will heat up and shorten its life.
If you need 3A output, dont buy 3A capable board, buy double so it won't go to its limit and you don't need cooling at all. With the effort, extra money(and space) you put into cooling, you might as well buy more sturdy board.

LikeTheSandwich

Joined Feb 22, 2021
If the board can supply 3A, this means it is on its limit at this output current and will heat up and shorten its life.
If you need 3A output, dont buy 3A capable board, buy double so it won't go to its limit and you don't need cooling at all. With the effort, extra money(and space) you put into cooling, you might as well buy more sturdy board.
I bought them needing 1A for another project, and just have some laying around.

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
I bought them needing 1A for another project, and just have some laying around.
The board is too small for the output of 1A and needs surface to dissipate heat. Evaluation board made out of this chip, it has tons of PCB space to dissipate heat and therefore no extra cooling is necessary.
https://www.monolithicpower.com/en/ev2315-j-00a.html

Instead of using fan you can try using heat conductive material on bottom side (since its empty space) and some aluminium heat sink to gain passive cooling. Beware of not making shorts.

LikeTheSandwich

Joined Feb 22, 2021
The board is too small for the output of 1A and needs surface to dissipate heat. Evaluation board made out of this chip, it has tons of PCB space to dissipate heat and therefore no extra cooling is necessary.
https://www.monolithicpower.com/en/ev2315-j-00a.html

Instead of using fan you can try using heat conductive material on bottom side (since its empty space) and some aluminium heat sink to gain passive cooling. Beware of not making shorts.
I haven't had any heat issues, but I've actually been running them around 500mA or maybe a little less. I wonder how much a thermal camera costs...

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
Last edited: