Where can one find these metal plates for mounting diodes ?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
9,744
Couple things here: First, we're assuming they ARE heatsinks. We don't know that for sure. Second, we're assuming they run hot, hence, a need for heat sinking. If any of that is true then some of the issues raised are important. If not - then they are fairly moot points.

Component leads DO conduct heat to the boards they're soldered to. If that heat is high enough they can burn the board. I've seen power resistors mounted above the boards and over time the PCB becomes scorched from the radiant heat; primarily resistors. In fact, one technique of above board resistor mounting has been to create a 270˚ loop in the leads. This provides two functions; heat dissipation and shock/vibration protection. Thermal expansion and contraction is yet another benefit from such an arrangement. And this is not limited to resistors, though I've never seen it applied to anything else such as diodes. [edit] Now that I think of it I HAVE seen diodes with either a single or double loops. [end edit]
1631457202253.png
 
Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
28,344
This is not my design. I "wish" I was capable of designing something like this.
It is a DC to AC power inverter and was designed by the EE's at TrippLite

I've simply reproduced their circuit in KiCAD in order to get a replacement PCB....which I damaged in the repair process.

That said, can you be specific. Are you specifically referring to the Diode H Bridge?
What would you suggest as an alternative?
I see Bridge Rectifiers routinely mounted directly to PCB's in all kinds of devices so I'm not sure what you mean specifically in this case?

What I mean is that it is wise to use longer leads so that the parts that handle enough power to get quite warm, or even hot, diodes or resistors, are not right against the PCB. This is assembly option and probably has no effect at all on the board layout.
 

Thread Starter

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
614
I appreciate each and every response.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
The knowledge base of the members here is amazing.
 

Thread Starter

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
614
Related to these plates.......

How would you represent the soldered connection of the two diodes to these plates.....in KiCAD (as a schematic)?
The plates are a 3D model. I have no idea how this could be laid out in KiCAD so that it matches the actual device.

I had to do it like this......not optimal.

Diode_H_Bridge_4.jpg
 

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
30,815
That is not a schematic, that is a board component.
In a schematic, it would presumably be a bridge component.
For a footprint, you may have to create it.
 
Related to these plates.......

How would you represent the soldered connection of the two diodes to these plates.....in KiCAD (as a schematic)?
The plates are a 3D model. I have no idea how this could be laid out in KiCAD so that it matches the actual device.

I had to do it like this......not optimal.

View attachment 247909
I dont have any experience doing it but you should be able to create a custom component with the holes you need, it wont show up right on the 3D view though unless you can create a 3D model of the assembly and I dont know if you can do that, but you should be able to create a component with just the holes you require and use that instead of the two diodes and two holes like you have on your current design.
 
Top