Where can I find this switch?

darchangel

Joined Jan 4, 2008
We often play card games on our deck at night. The deck light is too harsh. We have a solar powered lantern with LEDs but they're too horizontally directional and don't illuminate cards very well. In the middle of the table is an umbrella which is often collapsed, with the tips being ~9" above the table's surface. My idea was to make some little lights, tie them to string, tie the other end of the string to clothes pins, and have some removable hanging lights.

What I figure I need per light is: a 3v wafer battery, a resistor, an LED, and a tiny push-on/push-off button switch. Basically -- it's a throwie that isn't permanently on. The problem is, I can't find a really small on/off switch like this anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find one (hopefully cheaply)? Or if you have any other solutions to propose for this problem, I'm all ears.

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
I don't know how small you want the switch but there are plenty of distribuitors of all kinds of switches. You can also take one out from an old or bronken electronic toy or a Cellular phone. You will have to take into account the current capabilities too.

darchangel

Joined Jan 4, 2008
Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for a non-momentary switch that weighs as little as possible. You mentioned that there are lots. Can you give any examples?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
What I figure I need per light is: a 3v wafer battery, a resistor, an LED, and a tiny push-on/push-off button switch. Basically -- it's a throwie that isn't permanently on. The problem is, I can't find a really small on/off switch like this anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find one (hopefully cheaply)? Or if you have any other solutions to propose for this problem, I'm all ears.
White LEDs require ~3.4V to light them. A 3V battery wont work. Wafer batteries won't provide enough power to light LEDs for long. "tiny" push-on/push-off switches are very uncommon and probably very expensive compared to a miniature toggle switch.

For the cost, I'd go out and buy a bunch of cheap (end of the summer sales) solar garden lights, gut them, and use the the parts for your lights. Mount the solar panels, batteries and electronics on top of the umbrella. Run small wires with the LEDs on the ends down to the ends of the umbrella ribs. Aim the LEDs down so the players' cards are lighted from over their shoulder.

But, that's just my thoughts ;)

Ken

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
The actual output from a new "3V" coin cell can be as high as 3.3V, and LEDs also vary quite a bit from the datasheet numbers. I have run these http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13897 from single Sony CR2450 batteries for more than four hours at a stint. No resistor in the mix.
Four players for four hours for $2.25 for each battery...so, $10.00 per evening. Depending on the stakes that may be nothing. ;)

I like that one. Thanks!

Ken