Any idea of where can I find a 10p smd dip rotary mechanical switch?

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Hi guys,
As in the title, kindly, where can I find a 10p smd dip rotary mechanical switch?
I know that there are a lot of ENCODER switches but thats not what am looking for, am looking for just a 10p smd dip rotary mechanical switch.

Thanks

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I am confused. Please answer some questions:

Do you want a surface mount switch?

Are you saying that you want the PCB footprint to be in a DIP pattern instead of a circle?

Can you give a link or data sheet for an encoder that is packaged similar to what you want?

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Hi Richard,
Sorry for confusing you. The story simply is I want to buy an SMD or lets say a very small size 8 or 10 position rotary switch, something that looks like the one in the attached image. But the one that I attached its image is Encoder Switch and this is not what am looking for. Again, what am looking for looks like the one in the image yet just simple mechanical selector switch that shift from position 1 to 2 then 3 ....etc, I mean in a mere mechanical physical way.

Attachments

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
You should get used to looking at the major distributors' web sites. They allow search. Mouser gave me this:

at $9, I would think you'd want to consider those encoded switches as they are pretty easy to use to get the same effect as the above switch.

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
You should get used to looking at the major distributors' web sites. They allow search. Mouser gave me this:

at $9, I would think you'd want to consider those encoded switches as they are pretty easy to use to get the same effect as the above switch.
Thanks Philba. Looks cool. This is exactly what am looking for, except the size is kind of bigger than what am looking for. This one's Diameter = 25 mm and I need smaller than that, 10 to 15mm will be perfect. I will search for that one. Thanks again Philba.

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017

Yeah, you are right. $9 is too much but I really don't know how to use those encoded switches? Any clue please?

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Let's look at a decimal coded switch. There are 10 positions and 6 pins. 2 pins are labeled C for "common" and the 4 output pins are labeled 1,2 4 and 8. The 10 positions are labeled 0 through 9. Each position defines a set of connections between common and the 4 output pins. Look at the code table below to see which output pins are connected to common for each switch setting. Then it is just a matter of reading the value of the 4 output pins and selecting the correct output for your system. You can use a microcontroller to do that or there are chips - priority decoders - that will also do it with out a microcontroller (74HC42 is one example). If you think about it, the coding is actually the binary value of the position number.
.hex rotary.png