where can i buy an amoled display panel?

trivettegiacomo

Joined Nov 8, 2022
Hi, i would like to build my own computer monitor and i'm trying to find the display panel component that should have these characteristics:

• amoled or oled technology
  • size between 13.3 and 17 inches
  • resolution 4k

Can you help me find where to buy it online?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I suggest first obtaining a complete schematic circuit drawing of an LED monitor, since it will be needed to build a monitor anyway. Note the connections to the rows and columns, especially. Let that affect the desire to build.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
would just use the TVs HDMI connector to connect to my computer. Done. And for less money than I could find a display of that size.
Hi Bob,
I already do that, works fine.:)
The TS wants to build his own PC, as a learning project, possibly?

E

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The first stage of learning will be examining the circuit and understanding how it works. That part is not gained by assembling parts. If one were able to assemble a monitor with addressable pixels successfully they would be a master of fine soldering, that part is certain. Soldering skills are important but they are quite different from understanding electronics and circuit operation.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi triv,
The idea of buying a 17inch TV and using the OLED, would mean you would have the TFT mounting frame & power supply, you could concentrate on designing the computer electronics.
Most desk top PC consoles have a separate display monitor as standard.
E

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Just an hobby
OK. I have to say that it seems to me—from my knowledge and experience—that it is an odd place to focus your efforts. There are so many other, much more productive options (in terms of return on your investment of time and money).

Look at it this way, the chances of success are poor; the results will be of much lower quality than a display of a similar price; the educational value will be dubious, and what there is of that can almost certainly be gained from other projects that will return much more functionality and additional, more useful educational value.

I am not trying to discourage from homebrew electronics. I am just trying to evaluate this particular project in terms of cost-benefit. If you choose to try to do this I wish you the best of luck and success—but I have to say that my expectation is that you will not be able to complete it and it may put you off electronics as a hobby.

Aren’t there any other things you’d like to build that aren’t absurdly complex consumer items that can be purchased—in a better form—for less than you can build one?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
As an interesting introduction to the proposed project, I suggest obtaining a failed (Dead) monitor similar to what is wanted, and dismantling it with the intention of understanding how the different segments operate. This would be an education into at least the physical aspects, and with a bit of resourcefulness, not expensive, because failed monitors do not have much value. When this is done by prefessionals it is called "reverse engineering, and it is often quite informative.

trivettegiacomo

Joined Nov 8, 2022
Hi guys, i appreciate your personal considerations, but i still want to go ahead with my project, so please if you can't answer my question "where can i buy an amoled display panel?" don't post replies. thanks.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Sorry, users of the forum are not allowed to tell others what they can and cannot post.

The answer to your question is that, most likely. you cannot buy what you want quantity one retail.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hi guys, i appreciate your personal considerations, but i still want to go ahead with my project, so please if you can't answer my question "where can i buy an amoled display panel?" don't post replies. thanks.
It should be possible, even easy, to acquire a used, failed display, either TV or Monitor, and salvage the screen and connections. An added advantage is that you would also get a bunch of the hardware for use with the screen. And all cheaper than new.
The reality is that recycling will be by far the most likely to work, and also the cheapest.
The pain point will be gaining any information about the device you acquire.