When to use an Isolator?

brightnight1

Joined Jan 13, 2018
I'm planning on building a simple system with a microcontroller to turn a camera on, take a picture, and turn the camera off (perhaps some added functionality too). I was planning on using low side FETs to control the camera functions, but now I'm wondering if I should be using like a optocoupler to isolate the camera from the arduino. If the camera and Arduino are powered from different batteries the grounds will be connected. I guess I'm really wondering, why or why would I want to use an optocoupler in this type of situation?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Generally it is not a problem to have the commons connected.
Often it is necessary where you want to maintain galvanic isolation from a earth grounded system etc.
Max.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
In this situation I don't see it being a necessity. It would be warranted in areas where you can damage yourself or the microcontroller.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Anytime you are interfacing with a device using a voltage higher than 5VDC you should consider isolating it from the Arduino.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Or even the stodgy ole 2N2222 BJT, although the 2N7000 logic input MOSFET is better up to 1/2A and FQP30N06L MOSFET for higher amps.

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
I have a Radio Remote Control for my Canon camera and the connections look like this:
CanonEosRemote-1.jpg
If the camera and remote control each have their own battery supply, then I will not be worried about connecting them directly with a cable.