What's the correct way to connect this 3v LED into this circuit?

arturdb

Joined Aug 2, 2017
Hello there, I'm far from genius in electronics. But I believe it's quite simple.
I'm designing a mouse to be 3D printed, so I bought a wireless mouse and took the electronics apart.
In this mouse I want to connect a blue 3v LED that will be turned on when I turn on the PCB.

Now I'm a little confused about something. The original mouse uses only one 1.5v AAA battery, but it says to be 3v.
If I connect the PCB with 2x 1.5v AAA batteries, am I going to damage it?

Photos:
IMG_6658.jpg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwQlbmg9r8QNVGpadURTd2VYNVBhTEhyMzdJU2RhejJzSjQ0

IMG_6659.jpg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwQlbmg9r8QNRkc5d1FMUGIyNFU

Another question, what's the proper way to connect this 3v LED, is the circuit of the drawing going to work?

Drawing
IMG_6661.jpg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwQlbmg9r8QNbVhIMFNnOUhTOUU\

Really appreciate your time! Thanks

Mods Edit:
Please upload your images and circuit to the forum, and compress them as 800x600 jpg file.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
As drawn you have your LED in series with the board. I doubt this is what you want. With a 3 volt source you would want the 3 volt LED in series with the source of power (across the power). I also don't get the 1.5 volt battery with a 3 volt mouse? Most of the wireless mice I have seen use two each 1.5 volt batteries for a 3 volt supply source. My wife's tag says 3.0 Volt 100 mA and uses two each 1.5 volt batteries.

Ron

arturdb

Joined Aug 2, 2017
As drawn you have your LED in series with the board. I doubt this is what you want. With a 3 volt source you would want the 3 volt LED in series with the source of power (across the power).
Yeah, it actually doesn't work in series.
So, what do you mean "in series with the source power"? How would it be?

Thanks

arturdb

Joined Aug 2, 2017
I also don't get the 1.5 volt battery with a 3 volt mouse? Most of the wireless mice I have seen use two each 1.5 volt batteries for a 3 volt supply source. My wife's tag says 3.0 Volt 100 mA and uses two each 1.5 volt batteries.

Ron
I just tested it with two 1.5 volt betteries and it worked normally.

Now my only doubt is how to connect this LED to the circuit..

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If you have a 3 volt LED you would place it across the source power, the batteries. The problem is the LED you propose will always be on unless a switch from the battery is included. The 3 volt LED will be across (in parallel with) the power source, the batteries. Just keep in mind the LED current draw on your batteries.

Ron

arturdb

Joined Aug 2, 2017
If you have a 3 volt LED you would place it across the source power, the batteries. The problem is the LED you propose will always be on unless a switch from the battery is included. The 3 volt LED will be across (in parallel with) the power source, the batteries. Just keep in mind the LED current draw on your batteries.

Ron
it's working! :rolleyes:

20616375.jpg
https://ibb.co/cM0Nn5

Mods Edit:
Please upload your image to the forum and compress it as 800x600 jpg file.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Good, glad it is working. Now if the LED is running warm or ctually hot you may want to add a current limiting resistor in series with the LED, again this depends on the LED forward current found in the specific LED data sheet. Battery life will be a function of the LED current draw.

Ron

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Most of the wireless mice I have seen use two each 1.5 volt batteries for a 3 volt supply source.
My Sharkk wireless compact mouse (best mouse I've ever had) uses a single AA 1.5V battery and it will work down to 0.9V before dying.
It must have something like a joule-thief circuit to bump up the voltage for the IR LED and other circuitry.
Even then the battery lasts for many months of continuous use.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
has a booster IC you should try to test where you can tap the boosted voltage.

Normally youd want to run the LED at low currents maybe 2.2k resistor but even so it will drain the battery far more quickly.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My Sharkk wireless compact mouse (best mouse I've ever had) uses a single AA 1.5V battery and it will work down to 0.9V before dying.
It must have something like a joule-thief circuit to bump up the voltage for the IR LED and other circuitry.
Even then the battery lasts for many months of continuous use.
Good to know. My wife has a pile of 1.5 volt AA batteries in waiting for her mouse. :) Next mouse I'll look for one that uses a single battery.

Ron