What's a Tensor?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is like a vector, but it has more components. Common tensors are the Inertia tensor, stress tensor, and strain tensor. Tensors have an algebra and a calculus. In three dimensions a tensor will have nine components. They have property called rank. Scalars are tensors of rank 0, vectors are tensors of rank 1, and the tensor of rank 2 is our inertia, stress, strain, or other quantity.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It is like a vector, but it has more components. Common tensors are the Inertia tensor, stress tensor, and strain tensor. Tensors have an algebra and a calculus. In three dimensions a tensor will have nine components. They have property called rank. Scalars are tensors of rank 0, vectors are tensors of rank 1, and the tensor of rank 2 is our inertia, stress, strain, or other quantity.
The number of components that a tensor will have in three dimensions depends on the rank of the tensor. In general, it will be N^R where N is the number of dimensions and R is the rank of the tensor.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
You might find this handout from OhioStateUni helpful

https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~ntg/263/handouts/tensor_intro.pdf

Edit

Thank you for the vido, spook
I will add that

Fleisch skates over two difficulties.

Firstly the difference between maths and physics that leads to vectors being simple low order tensors and tensors being simple (uncomplicated) vectors.

Secondly he mentions the tie up between arrays (matrices) and tensors.

Not all arrays are tensors, but all tensors can be written as an array.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Things like this, repeated time and time again, always amaze me and provide strong evidence, to me, that "math is real" and not just a human creation. We develop a set of mathematical models for a system that describes the system as we know it today, and then study the math behind the model and predict subtle behaviors that were previously completely unknown and, at times, seemingly impossible. Then, often decades later, those behaviors are demonstrated experimentally.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Things like this, repeated time and time again, always amaze me and provide strong evidence, to me, that "math is real" and not just a human creation. We develop a set of mathematical models for a system that describes the system as we know it today, and then study the math behind the model and predict subtle behaviors that were previously completely unknown and, at times, seemingly impossible. Then, often decades later, those behaviors are demonstrated experimentally.
I read an article years ago titled "mathematical reality" that explored the subject so deeply that it even discussed its theological implications. Unfortunately, the link has been removed and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It amazes me too and also makes my brain hurt trying to 'grok' it.
The 'mathematical models' are not just made up to describe physical existence in the present, the correct models of fundamental details predict future (sometimes strange) behaviors of the physical system as conditions change. In this case the physical are things we can't directly 'see' but they exists in the same physical sense as a mountain. So I agree, the 'math' is already there and we are discovering it not inventing it.