What you get for christmas ???

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was laughing at my nephews' little RC car, so he bought me one. Probably a $10 POS that won't last until the batteries are dead, but it's fun, and it's for children 6 and older.:p

Also got some KMart cards, so that's where I'll go to buy mouses and keyboards today.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I haven't tried yet. It might turn out to be a challenge.:D

What can I say? I still have a VCR blinking 12:00

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
We got fiberoptic phone/TV/Internet installed to the house just before christmas and today they got to bugs out of the system!

Three HDTV's on separate ITV channels and I am still clocking just over 54meg/sec download bandwidth! :D:cool:

It's a shame I can't find anything to download that comes close to using it up though. :rolleyes:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I'd go for a large touch screen holding a list of things you need to buy. New things could be added manually, with text. Maybe each entry could have a picture as well and be added to a database automatically, for future use.

I wouldn't go for barcodes, too strict.

I was using an Android app called Out of Milk that pretty much does that job.

The biggest problem I have that this app covered was that during the week I would discover I needed various stuff but at that moment I would forget to write it down. Or even if I did, I would forget to take the shopping list with me at the supermarket.
Since the list was in my cell phone, it would de facto be with me all the time.

However, for the RPi, I simply suggest a "print list" functionality, with the help of a network printer. I imagine the RPi has a spool service.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Geo , what if you use touch screen and your G.P.S. would tell the store to fill

your order and be packaged at the checkout when you arrive at the counter.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Nah, I wouldn't go that way.

Firstly, I may not know what brand of cereal I fancied that morning.
Secondly, the store may not have it.
Thirdly, 99.999% of the stores in Greece don't even have online order of home deliveries services. Do you expect them to take the extra step as well?
Finally, of all people, I wouldn't expect you to be the one to rush through shopping his groceries.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I was laughing at my nephews' little RC car, so he bought me one. Probably a $10 POS that won't last until the batteries are dead, but it's fun, and it's for children 6 and older.:p
Atleat it was 10 bucks instead of my $500 nitro t-maxx 3.3...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I bought a $14 copter for my daughter from big lots. I wanted to get "my turn" first out of the box. I ran it for 15 seconds, attempted landing on the couch. Blade hit the cushion and broke. In terms of value, (fun/time) the big lots copter was more costly than the $500 nitro copter im sure.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I bought a $14 copter for my daughter from big lots. I wanted to get "my turn" first out of the box. I ran it for 15 seconds, attempted landing on the couch. Blade hit the cushion and broke. In terms of value, (fun/time) the big lots copter was more costly than the $500 nitro copter im sure.
At a buck a second, there's a lot you can buy. :D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
$3600 per hour?:eek:
I haven't seen prices like that since I had an x-ray. A few milliseconds for $400.:D

But seriously...21 hours in hospital for skin level surgery, Billed over $70,000.
The median price of a home for 1 days work!
With insurance, I paid $485
Without insurance, I should just crawl under a rock and die.
What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
But seriously...21 hours in hospital for skin level surgery, Billed over $70,000.
The median price of a home for 1 days work!
What's wrong with this picture?
Evil corruption in the medical establishment, supported by evil corruption in politics and big business?

America is going to have nightmares trying to get the corruption and rampant profiteering out of your medical system and get to a more sensible system like the ones that work well in the UK, Canada, Australia etc.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Corruption at every level supporting rampant profiteering?
Yep. I could believe that.
I'll try to fix it the next time I choose between two corrupt bastards running for office.