What would you recommend to meet these projects specs?

CosmicOrderMachines

Joined Oct 31, 2019
To really tell you why would just make me cry. However I want to focus on how can I. I get the tesla coil wants to distort everything into a sine wave. To what degree this is manageable is a question. To what realistic degree is really what I want to do. I have seen another person do it. Ive seen arbitrary waves come from tesla coils. I read them with dangling oscilliscope probes nearby

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, to build that you could sum the various components that make the shape. That is, presuming that it can be produced as a sum of parts. If it is a product of parts then it gets a lot more complex.
And if you are choosing to have just one pulse then it gets more challenging yet.
At that point the class "A" amplifier may be the choice. MUCH less efficient but for one event that may be OK. Except if it is a 10,000 watt single pulse.

CosmicOrderMachines

Joined Oct 31, 2019
OK, to build that you could sum the various components that make the shape. That is, presuming that it can be produced as a sum of parts. If it is a product of parts then it gets a lot more complex.
And if you are choosing to have just one pulse then it gets more challenging yet.
At that point the class "A" amplifier may be the choice. MUCH less efficient but for one event that may be OK. Except if it is a 10,000 watt single pulse.
Ok cool

No no, I don't expect it to be one pulse. I couldn't fathom getting it accurate with a sum of parts (I'm sure its possible) that's why I went with signal generator that can do digital recreation. Getting a tesla coil to run I need that specific frequency it likes right? its resonate point. I don't expect to run for longer than 10 minutes. I can deal with the heat that way. I am assuming around 20 watts is enough. Maybe can do it with less.. I've had a light bulb light up from a coil using 3 watts. Anyway. It means I need about 350khz to 750khz amplifier response just so that I can use that range to tune into the tesla coil resonate point. It seems to change quite easily and I wish I could narrow it down further than that. Do you think this is possible?

I appreciate your help.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I doubt that you would get a single cycle out of a Tesla coil, especially because they are a resonant system, and therefore they tend towards sine wave type wave forms. So repeating that profile at some repetition rate will take a fair amount of power. It might be possible to modulate a Tesla coil with that waveform, in fact that may be the only way.. Modulation is effectively the same as multiplication,

CosmicOrderMachines

Joined Oct 31, 2019
I doubt that you would get a single cycle out of a Tesla coil, especially because they are a resonant system, and therefore they tend towards sine wave type wave forms. So repeating that profile at some repetition rate will take a fair amount of power. It might be possible to modulate a Tesla coil with that waveform, in fact that may be the only way.. Modulation is effectively the same as multiplication,
Hmm. That might be the only way. I didn't want to resort to that.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hmm. That might be the only way. I didn't want to resort to that.
repeating High voltage sine waves are not to very difficult, high voltage square waves can be done. but producing math-function wave forms on a repeating basis is quite a bit more complicated. And probably that particular shape can't be produced by sending a pulse along a transmission line.
Now a bit more. An intense electric field. They are often described by volts per meter, or kilovolts per meter, which in a physically realistic range. So if there were a DC power supply of perhaps 50,000 volts, and that were fed through a class "A" amplifier so that every bit of it was exactly like the imagined wave form, then that field intensity versus time profile might be created. Only two things represent challenges now, the first being that 50,000 volt power source with some current available at that voltage, and then the second part being the class "A" amplifier that can vary the output from zero to 50KV and back to zero with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Presently the question is the rate of repeating that profile.
Now an interesting thought: Rather than amplify, that is to say, vary with an amplifier, that 50,000 volt. supply, instead produce that high voltage with a quite high powered oscillator, sort of similar to a Tesla coil, but able to be modulated. Now the electric field can be produced from the high voltage source , and controlled by the arbitrary wave form generation system.
The compromise is that it might be an AC electric field with a frquency perhaps 50 to 100 times greater than the repetition rate of the arbitrary waveform. But for exciting gasses in an enclosure to glow that might not matter. So this is a physically realizable system to tink about a bit.

Last edited:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""And of course the frequency used must be selected to avoid interfering with anybody who cares""
Not very much. I have measured the field intensity around the 38 mm thick ICP coil - 3000 V/m at inside, 800 V/m at 1 cm distance outside, 300 V/m at 2 cm, 10 mV/m at 1 meter, less than 1 microvolt per meter at 10 meter distance.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
1) RE: ""Interesting. I'm not sure but I feel I seen this in a youtube video. Are you sure this will allow me to pick the signal or is it optimized to find and self resonate? "" Please "bigger letters" - didnt understood a sense of question.
2) At least me never published the circuitry on the Youtube. I elaborated it about 10 years ago, thus someone may re-publish similar. To pick the signal in separated output is difficult, as it is high voltage. The lamp takes the signal automatically, it must be binded only magnetically (ICP= inductively coupled plasma). And adjusts partially to the changing in time lamp inductance and capacitance, thus the frequency is product of interfering the tank and lamp.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""were a DC power supply of perhaps 50,000 volts, and that were fed through a class "A" amplifier ""
1) For what a sake is waveform critical to simple light-source??? Inertia of lamp is ca tenths of nanoseconds, thus if very much needed may use a modulation. Generation at adjustable arbitrary form is nonsense, Mission Impossible.
2) For what are needed 50 kV if any even bad lamp ignites at 800 V. Even if 2...3 kV would be beneficial to get an instant secured ignition, then 50 kV ir overkilling, except the atmospheric plasma. But those is problematic with high current and themperature. Who likes an ark except the welders? Only exception is atmospheric microwave arc 1...3 GHz - very spectacular thing similar to the free jumpin thunderball - extreme rare natural phenomenon. If have a MRF284 the circuit is rather elementary, but then plasma ball size is not larger than green erbzeen been.
3) For 50 kV You need a Tesla coil or alternatively, the Cockroft-Walton full wave circuit.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
50 kV was a guess, given that there was an initial mention of intense electrical fields. I did not call it out as a guess, but that is implied by the context. And it is also a nice round number. And while illumination of plasma has been mentioned specifics were not presented that I could see. So if the actual voltage is a lot less, the task may become a bit easier but the principles are unchanged.
So please avoid throwing stones.

CosmicOrderMachines

Joined Oct 31, 2019
Thanks so much for your guys replies. It really helps a great deal. Information speed is the king of all reality fundamental momentum.

Ok so I modulate. What will I do in terms of modulating. I mean at what power can I modulate. If for example I have some sort of slayer exciter circuit and I begin to modulate it would I be able to modulate with 20v? At what point does modulating change the resonate balance? Does this make sense? I'm sure the slayer exciter circuit for example consumes not much power. Am I flexable to modulate that with lots of power? Does this do anything to effect the field resonance? Will my wave be more present in the field with higher magnitude?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
First of all, I need to mention that it would be AMPLITUDE modulation, since there are a number of types that are common.
Then you need to decide on the specific voltage you want for this "rather intense" electrical field. Then a circuit to provide that level of intensity, and then modulation can be added.

Some while back there was a thread about a "slayer" Tesla coil, and it was quite likely that it would not ever work. I don't recall much about the details except that it lacked many of the requirements for any sort of oscillator. I think it came from the youtube source. That is a very poor source for technical information.