who in his wonderous lore
passed on before
left men his guidance
how to circles mensurate

[Count the letters]

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Not into poetry...

I am re-reading entire series of Scifi/Fantasy novels by E.E. Doc Smith (Lensman, Skylark, Subspace, Family d'Alembert), Jack Campbell (Lost Stars, Lost Fleet,), and Anne McCaffrey (Dragonriders of PERN, The Rowan, Acornia, ...).

Just about finishing up the Formic Wars (first and second) series by Orson Scott Card (author of the Ender's series).

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
If I can take the liberty of interpreting "read twice" as "read at least twice", I would have to consider just about every data sheet I have ever read once :), especially those from a few manufacturers whose names I will not mention.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Is there a poem or a piece of novel that you would read twice?

A line of poetry that comes to your mind in difficult moments?
I have read many, many books multiple times. Most of those are in the sci-fi basket. I'm pretty sure I have read the earlier Honor Harrington novels by David Weber at least ten times. Every couple years I start over from the beginning and work my way through all of them again. There's presently approaching 20 books in that universe. I just got done going through them again.

There are a couple Heinlein novels that I read a second time immediately after finishing the first read. I don't think any other books have ever captured my attention that strongly, but that was also when I was in my late teens.

There's a number of non-fiction books I have read more than once, usually history books of one sort or another.

Of course there are sections of technical books, app notes, and data sheets that I have read multiple times, but I don't imagine that is within the context of your question.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.
The author just died in April.
Very sad, in fact I just recently reread it. The ideas have been rattling around in my head since I first read it circa 1975. Very pertinent since I had just bought a Honda 125 two cylinder bike. Sweet little cruiser. Quality.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Lord of The Rings... read them first in '83 ... waaaaaay before any movie was in the making (I did like the movies, though. The Hobbit movies, not so much) .... I've read it at least 10 times... and although the Spanish translation is superbly done, the original English edition has always been my first love.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
I had a reread of "'Dune" so time ago as when I read it first time it was a bit over my head (being of a tender age). Much more enjoyable. Then read the series but they got a bit over the top when F.Herbet passed away and it was taken over by others.
Reread some of I.Asimovs stuff also and found it a lot more enjoyable as I matured.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I'd probably consider a couple of exceptions to that premise... and that would be Jane Eyre, and Pride and Prejudice.

Yeah... I might look like a tough guy, but I've got a soft spot for classic romance... :D
I dunno -- IMO Hollywood (i.e. the motion picture industry in general) is utterly beyond the pale - sans redemption!:mad:

Best regards
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Following careful consideration - I would add the following to the list of 're-readables':

Most anything authored by:
E.A. Poe
H.P. Lovecraft
F.B. Long
Algernon Blackwood
M.R. James
C.L. Moore

Best regards
HP