What wire AWG to use for protoboads?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I always used #22, but I do not recommend those "bread boards" because even on poor contact can result in hours of troublehsooting.
Don't tell this guy Ben Eaters and the people who are planning to recreate his 8 bit computer circuit:
upload_2018-6-17_10-58-50.png
He specifies 14 breadboards (good quality).

The only times I've ever had a problem with solderless breadboards is when I abused them by inserting leads that were too large, had #24 wires pull out, or had wire ends break because they were nicked during stripping.

I considered it an opportunity to hone my troubleshooting skills.

I breadboarded a BCD to 5x7 LED matrix decoder consisting of about 16 SSI TTL ICs back in the 70's before putting it on a board to be part of a digital clock. That was before it occurred to me that I could have used a few 32x8 PROMs.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Don't tell this guy Ben Eaters and the people who are planning to recreate his 8 bit computer circuit:
View attachment 154588
He specifies 14 breadboards (good quality).

The only times I've ever had a problem with solderless breadboards is when I abused them by inserting leads that were too large, had #24 wires pull out, or had wire ends break because they were nicked during stripping.

I considered it an opportunity to hone my troubleshooting skills.

I breadboarded a BCD to 5x7 LED matrix decoder consisting of about 16 SSI TTL ICs back in the 70's before putting it on a board to be part of a digital clock. That was before it occurred to me that I could have used a few 32x8 PROMs.
I don't see current limiting resistors on the LEDs.
You should never take logic signals from outputs that are used to drive LEDs.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If a CMOS gate is powered by very low voltage it tends to be self current limiting, I've used this oddity myself. Of course we don't know his schematic. If you want more info PM me.