What to do with components from optical mouse

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have a 24 inch flat screen monitor, and I had to expand the avatar to see the cat.
Getting old sucks. :(

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
An optical mouse is a commonly abused article. Their discarding rate is high. You could get some easily. Eventually, post again.
The next time your mouse dies, inter it until the next mouse dies -it might provide the necessary replacement parts. In my case, I have been re-using the microswitches for the buttons. Now that mice are optical, the microswitches seem to be the things that wear out most frequently, and (in my experience) the left microswitch wears out much faster than the right one.
I just got another scrap mouse from someone. I think the left microswitch wore out on it, since it was double-clicking when the left button was pressed only once, and changing the computer's double-click speed setting didn't help.

Would I need an Arduino to read PS2? If so, I could get a cheap one as mentioned here, or I might try to make an optical pen when I have more time in a few weeks.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Well, I guess mice must have a short life expectancy at my house, since believe or not I now have another dead one!:rolleyes: I had forgotten about this one, but found it in my computer box a few days ago and have been using it temporarily since I'm moving in a few days and packed my good mice away.

I didn't have to use it for very long to find out why I had put it in the box and bought a replacement. The middle-click button (scroll wheel) was annoying me by sometimes not working and other times making too many clicks. Just a few minutes ago the scroll wheel broke, leaving me with a very sick mouse. As soon as I move, I will inter it.:p

Could someone please tell me how much work is involved in reading PS2? Would I need an Arduino to do that?

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Now that mice are optical, the microswitches seem to be the things that wear out most frequently, and (in my experience) the left microswitch wears out much faster than the right one.
Yes, that makes sense because left-clicking is much more common than right-clicking.

The mouse I'm currently using started having the same problem as the previous one (double-clicking when I left-clicked only once). When I googled this problem, I learned that the cause can be as simple as the mouse being dirty inside. In my case, I didn't even need to open it up to clean it. I just blew forcefully in the gap along the side of the mouse, and it works again now.:)