what is TOS, why can't i learn what we want in this site?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Nirmalath Kevitiyagala, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Nirmalath Kevitiyagala

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 7, 2018
    what is this TOS, please someone give me a link to read

2. bushrat

Nov 29, 2014
    https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/user-agreement/
    I think you are thinking about section 6...
    Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Any kind of jammers (ie - Phone jammers)
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies

JohnInTX likes this.
  3. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
  4. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Why can't I drive as fast as I want?

Why can't I go the wrong way down a one way street?

Why can't I just go through stop signs?

Why do I have to pay taxes?

Why can't I make as much noise as I want in a theater?

Why can't I have a campfire in a drought region?

Why can't I just dump my garbage on the street?

Why can't I take whatever drug that I want?

cmartinez, absf, Papabravo and 3 others like this.
  5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    ToS means Terms of Service, also known as the User Agreement.

When you registered you had to check a box indicating that you agreed to the Terms of Service and the Privacy Policy.

Here is the link to the ToS: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/help/terms

The very first sentence directs you to a more detailed page: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/user-agreement/

Part of that agreement is a list of topics that the owners of the site have decided they do not want discussed. Since this is THEIR site, they have every right to do so. Just as you would have every right to prohibit whatever topics you wanted to on any site that you own and pay for.

6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    MOD NOTE: Moved to Feedback and Suggestions from General Electronics Chat.

7. Nirmalath Kevitiyagala

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 7, 2018
    ok fine, this is insane bcz exactly what i want to talk about is one of the prohibited topics

8. bushrat

Nov 29, 2014
    There is a reason why its prohibited. Certain topics are purposely off-limits for safety reasons.
    It seems like 2 of your posts were closed: LED to mains and transformerless power supply (battery as shunt regulator), both referring to same schematic.

9. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    And you knew this when you joined and yet you still joined and tried to talk about those prohibited topics.

So any time a forum doesn't allow you to talk about exactly what YOU want to talk about it is insane?

The solution is simple. Start up your own forum. Then you can demand that people only talk about exactly what you want to talk about.

cmartinez, Parth786 and spinnaker like this.
  10. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    Insane is trying to change things that you can't change.

It would be more productive for you to find another website without the restrictions you find objectionable.

11. paulktreg

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 2, 2008
    I can understand some users not being able to find "TOS".

If this is how the forum members are going to refer to it then "User Agreement" should be changed to "Terms Of Service"?

shortbus likes this.
  12. BR-549

Distinguished Member

Sep 22, 2013
    If you watch a you tube video of a brain surgery.....do you think you could do it?

Would you let a goat herder wire your house, where your family lives?

Do you believe that you can work with AC mains power?

AND you are upset? How upset will your family be when they find your dead body?

If you want to work with AC main power(without isolation)........go to school.

absf and bushrat like this.
  13. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    With the blue interface, there's a Terms and Rules link at the bottom page.

That page is titled "Terms of Service and Rules", with a link to the User Agreement page.

It seems straightforward to me.

shortbus likes this.
  14. bushrat

Nov 29, 2014
    ....and if you know how to safely work on mains and understand it to the bone, then you wouldn't have to post it on forum asking questions about it...

absf, shortbus, #12 and 1 other person like this.
  15. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    No matter what we call it, both names will continue to be used since both names are in widespread use.

Plus, there are actually two pages. The first is titled, "Terms of Service and Rules". It incorporated, by linked reference, the paged titled, "User Agreement".

Now, an argument could be made that they should be combined into a single document and I've often that that this would make sense. On the other hand, an argument can be made that they should remain separate with the first focused on the legalistic terms and the second focused on the more practical terms, which is roughly how it is now (but could be improved).

The real underlying problem is that new members do not actually read either -- they just click the box saying that they agree with them. That's not going to change.

16. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Yeahbut....

Personally I think that discussion should be allowed, if only for the educational aspect of it. We permit discussion of high voltage transmission systems and high voltage tesla coils and other items that can get someone fried, not to mention lots of discussion involving working on house wiring, PV systems, and home appliances. Each of these can get someone that doesn't know what they are doing in trouble very quickly and the same, "if you have to ask," argument could be made. But I'm not the one that makes the decision on the allowed topics. It's a point of repeated discussion amongst the staff, but until the site owners change the rules, we are charged with enforcing them.

cmartinez, JohnInTX and #12 like this.
  17. dendad

Feb 20, 2016
    It is really scary what some posters, in their ignorance, want to attempt. And then, when they are advised against it, they argue and ignore the advice anyway.
    I have been playing with electronics for around 50years, 16 years of it at a HF radio transmitter site where we used 30KV DC at over 100KW power levels. I am very wary of high volts and mains circutry. Even so, it is easy to loose concentration and get zapped.
    Please believe it, new electronics entnhusiest, we do care for your safety and so the restrictions apply.

absf and shortbus like this.
  18. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

Start your own forum. You can discuss whatever you want. You can call it Sane All About Circuits. :rolleyes:

19. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Insane you say? You will find closed doors everywhere and I hope you do not waste YOUR time complaining about it. That would be insane.

20. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    Just as a little question, who are the actual owner(s) of the AAC site?