What is this doing with only three wires

kronilogiks

Joined Jan 4, 2020
ok i know its a step-up transformer that i pulled from an electric mouse trap for the life of me i can't figure out how the bloody heck they get the thing to step up or work at all I've dissected a couple and it would appear to be a layered step-up transformer the blue and black are the primary and the red is the secondary however there's no other end to the secondary it just ends under the tape i can't remember if it does attach to one of the primary leads or not it must because i can't seem to find anything on these things at all i assume its a pulse transformer since its for killing mice i cant seem to get it to work I've tried on many of these things to no avail any light on these things would be appreciated would like to make an ozone generator or jacobs ladder with it since I've been carrying them around for a while nowIMG_20200104_163231.jpgIMG_20200104_163147.jpg

kronilogiks

Joined Jan 4, 2020
ok i know its a step-up transformer that i pulled from an electric mouse trap for the life of me i can't figure out how the bloody heck they get the thing to step up or work at all I've dissected a couple and it would appear to be a layered step-up transformer the blue and black are the primary and the red is the secondary however there's no other end to the secondary it just ends under the tape i can't remember if it does attach to one of the primary leads or not it must because i can't seem to find anything on these things at all i assume its a pulse transformer since its for killing mice i cant seem to get it to work I've tried on many of these things to no avail any light on these things would be appreciated would like to make an ozone generator or jacobs ladder with it since I've been carrying them around for a while nowView attachment 196096View attachment 196097
and just tested there is continuity between the blue and black and red so im bamboozaled completely but i guess that means then that the secondary must join the primary then so how do i get this thing to do its job hmm

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes, it looks to be an autotransformer.

Be careful. Remember, this thing (in the original circuit) is intended to kill animals and you are, after all, an animal. It may or may not have the energy and capability of killing humans, too, but you don't want to be the guinea pig in the experiment that tests that theory.

Also, the circuit you are planning to use it in may allow you to get tangled directly with the mains.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
ii addition to checking for continuity, measure the resistance between each pair of wires. You will have three values. One will be approximately the sum of the other two measurements. Those two wires will be each end of the primary and secondary. The third wire (not in the measured pair) will be the common terminal of the primary and secondary. One of the other two measurements will be larger. Those two wires (the point of measurement and the common terminal) will be the secondary.

The other two wires are the primary.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Sounds like a voltage divider??? Check the Ωs.
NO, not a voltage divider. It is a step up transformer, similar in arrangement to those old automotive ignition coils, and to the trigger transformer for a xenon flash tube. One lead is common, one lead ties to the primary, and the red lead out the side ties to the secondary. And it does pulses, not a steady voltage. Similar tp the thing drawn quite well in post #7, but the primary is a few turns of heavier wire, the secondary being a few thousand turns of much finer wire. So to see how it works you will need the rest of the circuit. OR, find a way to hold the ends of the red and black wires perhaps 1/8 inch, or 2mm, apart, and then momentarily connect a single flashlight cell between the blue and black wires. Just a momentary touch will do, and you should see a spark between the red and black. You may still get that spark at 1/4 inch or so. But you won't find it useful for much else, I don't think.
You may discover that it also serves as sort of an electromagnet with a bit of DC running through the blue and black leads. With that magnetic force you can build a simple buzzer, with the interruption bring in the circuit between the blue wire and the battery positive. Then you may be able to produce some sparks between the red wire and the black wire that is connected to the battery negative terminal. Be careful to not get connected because it is a fairly high voltage.

Last edited:

kronilogiks

Joined Jan 4, 2020

Be careful. Remember, this thing (in the original circuit) is intended to kill animals and you are, after all, an animal. It may or may not have the energy and capability of killing humans, too, but you don't want to be the guinea pig in the experiment that tests that theory.

Also, the circuit you are planning to use it in may allow you to get tangled directly with the mains.
thank you for your concern i would agree and if i were like most everyone i have ever known i would long ago have likely elecrocuted my self to death as luck would have it i was bestowed a great gift that very few belive untill i show them in person i for resond unknownto my self boast an electrical resistance much higher hen anyone ive seen for instance ive actually been soaking wet in the rain and for some reason decided hooking up power directly from mains transformer to the meter was a fine idea without any gloves and wet hands it almost tickeled and i noticed a slight hum when i held the bare ends of both the wires witch i calmly hooked up and then went inside to hook up the panel boxmain disconect and every tazer stun gun ive ever fiddled with i obviously couldnt resist the urge to see if they did much more thenburn the surfce of my skin slightly if anything most of them did very little however was not the case for others whom so foolishlky thought the device wopuld effect them in a similar fashion lol they did not have the same effect left burns and caused quite a bit of pain in the follish ones who didnt belive me when i said not to just cuz it didnt hurt me didnt measn the same for them o well but i do appericate the thought and if your curious i did test the device when it was in there just to see and i thought it felt like a ramped up bug swatter however it did in a mouse just fine i wonder if there is more people who share this gift as well i know there must but i havent ran into any yet

kronilogiks

Joined Jan 4, 2020
it is indeed thankyou for unveiling this mysterious thing to me I've been trying everything I could to figure it out and finally, just today resigned to me need for help and joined this forum you guys are awesome thank you so much I am very grateful now I know how it is used and can throw it back into the pile and if I ever have use for it I now know how to use it exactly an elderly friend of mine wanted an electric walking stick to deter hooligans if they should try and hassle him but as it is I have much much better devices for the purpose anyways thank you so much never thought I would have an answer so soon

kronilogiks

Joined Jan 4, 2020
NO, not a voltage divider. It is a step up transformer, similar in arrangement to those old automotive ignition coils, and to the trigger transformer for a xenon flash tube. One lead is common, one lead ties to the primary, and the red lead out the side ties to the secondary. And it does pulses, not a steady voltage. Similar tp the thing drawn quite well in post #7, but the primary is a few turns of heavier wire, the secondary being a few thousand turns of much finer wire. So to see how it works you will need the rest of the circuit. OR, find a way to hold the ends of the red and black wires perhaps 1/8 inch, or 2mm, apart, and then momentarily connect a single flashlight cell between the blue and black wires. Just a momentary touch will do, and you should see a spark between the red and black. You may still get that spark at 1/4 inch or so. But you won't find it useful for much else, I don't think.
You may discover that it also serves as sort of an electromagnet with a bit of DC running through the blue and black leads. With that magnetic force you can build a simple buzzer, with the interruption bring in the circuit between the blue wire and the battery positive. Then you may be able to produce some sparks between the red wire and the black wire that is connected to the battery negative terminal. Be careful to not get connected because it is a fairly high voltage.
yes it is definitely a step up the rest of the circuit has been lost i might be able to find it however since it came out of a victor electric mouse trap that got scrapped for the nice little switches so i could have my friends dartboard light up when the doors opened lol

kronilogiks

Joined Jan 4, 2020
Providing some capitals, paragraphs, commas and periods could bring the OP to a different level still in that class.
unfortunately computers do not fully grasp the whole concept of grammar and I use dictation to type so everything is one very long run-on sentence and even with Grammarly it only does so much to correct this and I'm not about to pay what they are asking for the program to fix it so this is the way it will be typing with my thumbs on my cellphone renders much worse results then that i assure you of that

kronilogiks

Joined Jan 4, 2020

i honestly didn't have any plans for it as of the moment I just had it and I've had it for a very long time originally was going to be used as an electrical defense weapon for an elderly diabetic man who is a good friend of mine I used other more heavily insulated parts and encased it all up in epoxy since the last thing that I would want is for it to short out on the guy and that wouldn't be very good so needless to say it's just going back in the collection now thanks tho

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Autotransformer didn't even enter my thoughts. I know what they are but I don't think I ever actually came across one. Very low on my list of possibilities but will try to remember next time.

kronilogiks

Joined Jan 4, 2020
I think he skipped "that class" -- assuming such things are even taught any more.
voice dictation cares not for punctuation only the occasional hyphen or comma thanks to Grammarly also she skipped a lot of classes that were not of interest mostly English social studies anything that wasn't to do with magick and wizardry potions and such "chemistry science" my school sucked ok I self-taught everything I know thanks google

kronilogiks

Joined Jan 4, 2020
Autotransformer didn't even enter my thoughts. I know what they are but I don't think I ever actually came across one. Very low on my list of possibilities but will try to remember next time.
I know right I never even heard of such a thing and as usual, as I was in the process of posting this it all came to me like a fog clearing the room altho I had no idea what autotransformer meant i remembered the few I took apart to figure out and yes the winding is about 10k to 1 if i remember correctly I simply counted how many turns unraveled in one full span or my arms witch was roughly 2 and counted the number of pulls it took to unravel the whole thing simple enough