What does it mean when a design is called a "Novel Type"?

anpk05

Joined Nov 24, 2019
I've been trying get a definition for "Novel Type" design. What does it mean when a certain design is called a "Novel Type"? I ran into that description when reading on Op-Amps and such.

Best.

anpk05

Joined Nov 24, 2019
It is one of many marketing terms that can be meaningless. Other terms, like "on sale," "made expressly for," "exclusively," and many others are considered "puffery." They are meaningless.

It is still caveat emptor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor).
Got it, thanks.

But let's say the topic discusses about Novel design approach? Does it not have any meaning other than meaning a newer method?

anpk05

Joined Nov 24, 2019
Thank you so much for all inputs.
As i keep reading the word "Novel" falls off and no where to be found in the middle of the theory.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Never equate 'Novel' method/type/theory/etc.. to good, correct or efficient.

A 'Novel method' to reduce the amount of money you have.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Does it not have any meaning other than meaning a newer method?
In some contexts, "novel" does mean new, as in new enough to get a patent (maybe). In school, when we thought of doing something novel, it was from the context of being "new," and when someone beat you to it, you were, "scooped." That was more than 50 years ago, though.

"Novel" can still have that meaning, but generally it is applied in the sense of "newer" rather than completely new. Far more often, it is used by marketing or to self-promote.