What disadvatage can I get to replace arduino mega 2560 with arduino due or raspberry pico

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Need to know the application.
Smart home system, like door lock system, automatuc water faucet, smart electric system (relay system), ...
And I think for surveillance camera I can use arduino due or raspberry pico (camera and micrphone with stepper motor)

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi,
It would be better if you stated a specific question regarding the MCU applications.
Have you tried Googling for the information.?
E

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Need to know the application.
For smart gardening with PIR sensor, soil humidity sensor, raindrop sensor, water level sensor, water solenoid, LDR sensor, and IR distance sensor, it is good idea ?, and what disadvantage can I get ?

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
Make a list of required inputs/outputs, serial interfaces etc. Then look at available shields/hats and available libraries for different sensors/actuators. Consider form factor and power consumption. Make a table for different boards with all information above. Then you can evaluate pros and cons for every board in your project scope.

kaindub

Joined Oct 28, 2019
With any of these MCU the I/O can be expanded easily (mu;tipexing I/O and other tecniques). The limiting factors are going to be the size of your code (if you are a good programmer then youll make a lot smaller program and be able to use a smaller MCU) and secondly the program cycle time (if cycle time is critical).
The final consideration will be how much external peripherals you will use (hardware) as opposed to how much of this hardware proecessing you put into your code (for example using an analog input from a sensor versus using a similar sensor on I2C and having it already scaled )

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
The two Arduinos have the same design / debug environment, probably with no OS
the Pi is very different, probably with a Linux flavour OS.

Pi is more capable, Arduino is easier to learn,

Arduino has more easier to access IO capability than the Pi ,

The 2560 has 5v Io capable pins, the Pi is 3v3 capable IO

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The two Arduinos have the same design / debug environment, probably with no OS
the Pi is very different, probably with a Linux flavour OS.

Pi is more capable, Arduino is easier to learn,

Arduino has more easier to access IO capability than the Pi ,

The 2560 has 5v Io capable pins, the Pi is 3v3 capable IO
The Pi Pico is an MCU and can be programmed in the Arduino IDE. It's not an SBC like the RPi.

Phil-S

Joined Dec 4, 2015
As I understand "smart", it implies a system of interconnected devices working through a hub of some sort, be it WiFi or some other wireless technology, often referred to as IoT (Internet of Things).
It seems to be aimed at controlling things like lighting and energy etc. through applications on mobile phones or PCs.
If that's the aim, then the Espressif modules are very popular and Arduino also has WiFi capable boards.
If the aim is control devices locally e.g. turn on the watering system if the soil is dry, then an MCU like the Atmega2560 is perfectly capable.
You are almost certainly going to have to have some wireless devices where cables aren't practical, and there you have plenty of choice.
Personally, I have always used Digi XBee modules as cable replacement, but other systems using cheaper radios like Jeelab are available

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
@meowsoft if you want a good answer, specify the problem not a part of the solution. In this case, maybe it is something like:

My company is looking to standardize on an MCU for a range of projects (list the type of projects).
We currently use Arduino Megas, but they are very large and are aging. Should we stay with them or move to different Arduino compatible MCU? If moving makes sense, what is a good alternative to cover the sorts of projects we want to do.
We are cost sensitive, and would prefer to stay with the lowest cost effective solution.

Now, I made all of that up but it's the presentation of a problem not part of an attempt to solve it, and that question is one people can helpfully answer because it provides enough information.

Try something like that.

The Mega has many more I/O pins than the Due. So again, at least a block diagram of what you anticipate doing with the micro processor would be very helpful if you want further recommendations.