What diodes should I buy?

ElectroBoy7

Joined Dec 22, 2015
I'm starting in electronics and I'm buying components and I was wondering, what diodes should I buy to have in hand and what's the difference between a Diode and a Zener diode, or are they the same?

Thanks in advance.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Your first post. Welcome to AAC!
I'm starting in electronics and I'm buying components and I was wondering, what diodes should I buy to have in hand
You could look for a diode selection kit. Jameco.com might have one.
what's the difference between a Diode and a Zener diode, or are they the same?
There are a number of types of diodes, most of the time they're used for their reverse blocking capability; but sometimes used for junction capacitance, etc. Zeners are typically used for their voltage regulation capability. A zener could be used as a regular diode, but that would be a waste of it's capabilities and show a lack of craftsmanship.

There are many texts on this site that cover basics and there's a lot of information on the internet (some good and a lot of it bad). You'll get more mileage from this site if you try to figure out things for yourself and ask specific, detailed questions when you can't.

When asking questions about a circuit, it's always best to include a schematic, preferably a well drawn one.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I'm starting in electronics and I'm buying components and I was wondering, what diodes should I buy to have in hand and what's the difference between a Diode and a Zener diode, or are they the same?
A Zener diode is pretty much like any other diode, except its reverse breakdown voltage (that is, the reverse voltage above which it abruptly starts conducting lots and lots of current) is tightly controlled, making it usable as a crude sort of voltage regulator.

If I were starting in electronics, I would buy a bunch of these types:

1N4148 -- a common, low-current "signal" diode used in circuits where the diode function is needed but not a lot of voltage or current is involved.
1N4007 -- a common "rectifier" diode used in general-purpose power applications. Good for 1 amp and 1000V reverse voltage.
1N5819 -- a 1 amp, 40V Schottky power diode used in switching regulator circuits because of its high speed and low forward voltage drop.

There are many, many others which are useful, but to me those are the "big three."

ElectroBoy7

Joined Dec 22, 2015
Your first post. Welcome to AAC! You could look for a diode selection kit. Jameco.com might have one.
There are a number of types of diodes, most of the time they're used for their reverse blocking capability; but sometimes used for junction capacitance, etc. Zeners are typically used for their voltage regulation capability. A zener could be used as a regular diode, but that would be a waste of it's capabilities and show a lack of craftsmanship.

There are many texts on this site that cover basics and there's a lot of information on the internet (some good and a lot of it bad). You'll get more mileage from this site if you try to figure out things for yourself and ask specific, detailed questions when you can't.

When asking questions about a circuit, it's always best to include a schematic, preferably a well drawn one.
Thank you very much for your time and for welcoming me (I don't know if that's corrent, English is my second language :p ).
I'm reading the textbook published in this forum and they are great. I'm watching as well, the videos and help a lot.

Would these ones help me ?

1N4001
1N4002 
1N4003 
1N4004
1N4005 
1N4006 
1N4007
1N5408

I still don't quite understand the difference between a diode and a zener diode. Both can be use to convert AC to DC using a bridge rectifier but what's the main difference between them ?

Thank you again.

ElectroBoy7

Joined Dec 22, 2015
A Zener diode is pretty much like any other diode, except its reverse breakdown voltage (that is, the reverse voltage above which it abruptly starts conducting lots and lots of current) is tightly controlled, making it usable as a crude sort of voltage regulator.

If I were starting in electronics, I would buy a bunch of these types:

1N4148 -- a common, low-current "signal" diode used in circuits where the diode function is needed but not a lot of voltage or current is involved.
1N4007 -- a common "rectifier" diode used in general-purpose power applications. Good for 1 amp and 1000V reverse voltage.
1N5819 -- a 1 amp, 40V Schottky power diode used in switching regulator circuits because of its high speed and low forward voltage drop.

There are many, many others which are useful, but to me those are the "big three."
I'm starting to understand better, thank you very much for your kind explication.

Those:
  • 1N4007 1000V 1A
  • BY500/1000 1000V 5A
  • P1000J-DIO 1000V 10A
  • 1N5819RL Schottky 40V 1A
Thank you for your response.

What happens is that I'm thinking about buying a medium-large quantity of each ones because in my country it's pretty expensive so I want to buy it from AliExpress. What other diodes do you recommend me?

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
What you need are a mixture of diodes. If you go onto ebay you can get packs of diodes in a mix which are a good start.
Singal diodes, get the 4148. That is a standard silicon.
Zener diodes, get the packs. That gives you a range of voltages to play with
Schottky diodes, Get the 5817. That is good for rectification (low forward voltage).

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What happens is that I'm thinking about buying a medium-large quantity of each ones because in my country it's pretty expensive so I want to buy it from AliExpress.
I'd recommend against buying from AliExpress, Alibaba, Amazon, or eBay; too many instances of counterfeit parts. Your best bet would be to buy from a reputable online distributor like jameco.com, mouser.com, digikey.com. Don't buy from places like sparkfun.com; they have exorbitant prices. Digikey prices are relatively high too, but at least they're reputable.

I checked Jameco's diode kit; it's nothing special and too expensive.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
You wont need any other diodes except signal diodes like Mitch said. Zener ones are generally rarely used so you don't need them, spend money on regulators like 7805 and 7812.Get a nice pack of NPN and PNP transistors. Where are you located?

ElectroBoy7

Joined Dec 22, 2015
so only purchase 1N4
Thank you.

What you need are a mixture of diodes. If you go onto ebay you can get packs of diodes in a mix which are a good start.
Singal diodes, get the 4148. That is a standard silicon.
Zener diodes, get the packs. That gives you a range of voltages to play with
Schottky diodes, Get the 5817. That is good for rectification (low forward voltage).
I'll do that right away, I'll let you know. Thanks !

I'd recommend against buying from AliExpress, Alibaba, Amazon, or eBay; too many instances of counterfeit parts. Your best bet would be to buy from a reputable online distributor like jameco.com, mouser.com, digikey.com. Don't buy from places like sparkfun.com; they have exorbitant prices. Digikey prices are relatively high too, but at least they're reputable.

I checked Jameco's diode kit; it's nothing special and too expensive.
Only the fee of the shipping to my country cost almost45 dollars, which is the cost of a lot, I mean, A LOT of components from China. I do understand that the quality will be bad, but for now, that's all I can get. At the end, I have to start somewhere, right?

Thank you very much for all of your kind responses.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Thank you very much for your time and for welcoming me (I don't know if that's corrent, English is my second language :p ).
I'm reading the textbook published in this forum and they are great. I'm watching as well, the videos and help a lot.

Would these ones help me ?

1N4001
1N4002 
1N4003 
1N4004
1N4005 
1N4006 
1N4007
1N5408

I still don't quite understand the difference between a diode and a zener diode. Both can be use to convert AC to DC using a bridge rectifier but what's the main difference between them ?

Thank you again.
Where are you located? Maybe we can recommend something better if we know where you are.

ElectroBoy7

Joined Dec 22, 2015
Wow guys, I'm happy I joined this forum, a lot of people willing to help right away, thank you very much!

You wont need any other diodes except signal diodes like Mitch said. Zener ones are generally rarely used so you don't need them, spend money on regulators like 7805 and 7812.Get a nice pack of NPN and PNP transistors. Where are you located?
By regulators, you mean, potentiometers or transistor? I'm located in Colombia.

Hello,

Have a look at the following thread:
Components Selection Guide

Post #2 will show you zenerdiodes and post #3 will show you signal and rectifying diodes.

Bertus
Than you very much !

ElectroBoy7

Joined Dec 22, 2015
Where are you located? Maybe we can recommend something better if we know where you are.
I'm located in Popayán-Valle del Cauca-Colombia.
I'm preparing to get into college and once I'm in I don't want to bother about not haveing a component, I want everything in hand so I can focus on my projects.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014

ElectroBoy7

Joined Dec 22, 2015
No,regulators are used to provide stable voltage.
For example you have 15V Battery but your bulb requires 5V to work.To solve the problem you would use a voltage regulator like 7805 to reduce 15V to suitable voltage level required by the bulb which is 5V.

Try this webpage:
http://www.edgarsuarez.com/?page=Productos&producto=Filtros&idcont=1016
I understand, so which values of regulators should I buy? Having in mind that I won't be able to buy more after this so I would be very thankful if you can quote the mest common and used regulators.
Thank you very much.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Only the fee of the shipping to my country cost almost45 dollars, which is the cost of a lot, I mean, A LOT of components from China. I do understand that the quality will be bad, but for now, that's all I can get. At the end, I have to start somewhere, right?
From a couple recent examples on AAC, having nothing would be better.

There was a post about some defective/counterfeit temperature sensors. It turned out that the temperature sensors were relabeled NPN transistors.

Yesterday there was one about counterfeit 2N3055 where an inferior transistor had been substituted and the transistors were burning out at 1A when they should have been able to handle much more than that.

You're better off having nothing if you can't get genuine parts.