What can be re-purposed from broken cell phones ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I have a about 6 broken smart phones, I figured I might have been able to salvage something off them, but it's all so small, I probably can't, or it's just not worth it, is it ?

It would be nice to re-purpose a screen, or camera, is that even fesible ?

What sensors are on these I might look for and pull ? I can pull the little motors at least. Anything else special that a hobbists could re-use ?

Otherwise time to toss them.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I've saved several batteries. I have a keychain camera that has its own internal battery but it can't power the camera for more than 15 minutes while the chip can hold up to 4 hours of video. I removed the internal battery and wired the camera to a small cell phone battery and can now record the full load of the memory chip.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Industry standard for gold plating on micro-circuitry is 50 microns though it's not uncommon to see it as low as 25 microns. Gold recovery is difficult and not cheap. If you're salvaging a mere few micro grams for the chemicals you need it's not worth it. But if you're doing it on a large scale it can pay off. Also highly dependent on the price of gold.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I have a about 6 broken smart phones, I figured I might have been able to salvage something off them, but it's all so small, I probably can't, or it's just not worth it, is it ?

It would be nice to re-purpose a screen, or camera, is that even fesible ?

What sensors are on these I might look for and pull ? I can pull the little motors at least. Anything else special that a hobbists could re-use ?

Otherwise time to toss them.
Depending on what is broken, you can fix and resell or give away to someone who needs it. I think it is a better way. I had managed to make an iphone last over 5 years now, replaced screen and battery, gave to my mom. In all of my life I am only on my 2nd phone.

I think the components in them ars so small, not much use in trying to repurpose. Even fixing is a challenge.