What are some modern 741 Op Amp Equivalents?

Fran3

Joined Mar 28, 2019
Love the 741 Op Amp but just started wondering what are some modern day equivalents that are ...
popular
inexpensive
and come in a quad dual-in-line package
Also, as a side note, is your suggested equivalents pin for pin compatible with the 741? (Not a requirement, just wondering.)
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I wanted to get a present day opinion.
Thanks for any help.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Depends, depends, depends...

What is your application?

Here are some criteria:
  1. single or bipolar supply voltage
  2. supply voltage range
  3. rail-to-rail operation
  4. gain-bandwidth product
  5. noise figure
  6. input offset current, voltage
  7. quiescent power consumption
  8. BJT, FET, CMOS fabrication
  9. and so much more...

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Today, normally the 741 OPamp seems only used for study, but if you know how to use it then it is still can be a good component, like one of my friends likes to use 741 for some purpose in an industrial project.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Today, normally the 741 OPamp seems only used for study, but if you know how to use it then it is still can be a good component, like one of my friends likes to use 741 for some purpose in an industrial project.
I can't imagine his justification for that decision. I can think of other reasons this might be the case like a complete unwillingness to consider alternatives.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I can't imagine his justification for that decision. I can think of other reasons this might be the case like a complete unwillingness to consider alternatives.
He didn't tell me the details, but I knew that he used them for the new design.

He also used many high price OPamps, but the important thing is like this thread, to know the spec of 741 and its characteristics, and then use them well.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Love the 741 Op Amp but just started wondering what are some modern day equivalents that are ...
Just about any "modern" opamp is going to have better specs than the 741 (e.g. wider input and output voltage ranges, faster slew rate, higher GBW), but they'll cost more than a 741 and will likely have a smaller operating voltage range.

If you know how to use them, 741 will still do what they were designed to do. The LM358 design is almost as old and I still use it for most of my opamp circuits. I only use something "better" when it's required.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
He didn't tell me the details, but I knew that he used them for the new design.

He also used many high price OPamps, but the important thing is like this thread, to know the spec of 741 and its characteristics, and then use them well.
I'm sorry that your story lacks details. IMHO there is little if any justification for using that part.

ag-123

Joined Apr 28, 2017
well I stuffed quite a handful of LM(V)358 (lmv358, lm358), nowadays I'd only go for LMV358 .
These are single supply op amps, I'd mainly use them for interfacing ADCs as buffers and sometimes for its amplification.
lmv358 is apparently different from lm358, even if they share the same pinouts. lmv358 is rail to rail and can easily run on a 3.3v VDD common to many (arm based) mcus.
They are my goto 'I need an op amp' part, when I simply needs something in place, buffer, some amplification etc.
lm358, lmv358 are 'useless' for the 'dual supply' uses where voltages need to swing above and below zero.

the 'single supply' nature of lmv358 is partly a reason for this little project
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/lm358-electret-mic-amp.184812/
I needed an electret mic amp, and I wanted the voltage to swing between 0-3v, with the middle at 1.5v.
Few things comes close to the convenience of the lmv358 to get an output between 0-3v, never mind all other concerns noisier, less linear etc.

lmv358 is ideal for *low frequency* 'high impedance' sources that sometimes only offer microamps of currents, that buffer is unbeatable for this purpose, simply use as a voltage follower.
my usual ebay / aliX sources are
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=lmv358
floods of them, I think they are apparently a pretty popular and common part.

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Do you want to try op07?

Low VOS: 75 µV Max
Low VOS Drift: 1.3 µV/°C Max
Ultrastable vs. Time: 1.5 µV/Month Max
Low Noise: 0.6 µV p-p Max
Wide Input Voltage Range: ±14 V
Wide Supply Voltage Range: ±3 V to ±18 V
Fits 725, 108A/308A, 741,
AD510 Sockets
125°C Temperature-Tested Dice

OP07C Datasheet.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
lmv358 is apparently different from lm358, even if they share the same pinouts.
A lot of dual opamps have the same pinout.

Maximum supply voltage for LMV358 is 5.5V whereas it's 32V for LM358, inputs/outputs for LMV358 aren't quite rail-to-rail. Some LMV358 have CMOS inputs (onsemi) so require proper handling/packaging/storage, but TI inputs are bipolar (according to their functional diagram and input bias current specs).

Most of the Arduino Uno clones I have use an LM358 instead of the LMV358 that was used in the original design. Apparently, the cloners employ idiots who can't read or can't be bothered with understanding how the circuit functions.

lm358, lmv358 are 'useless' for the 'dual supply' uses where voltages need to swing above and below zero.
LM358 can be used with bipolar supplies. Care needs to be taken to avoid crossover distortion because the output stage was designed for single supply operation. LMV358 can be too, but the supply range is so small that it wouldn't make much sense to use them that way.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I'm sorry that your story lacks details. IMHO there is little if any justification for using that part.
To you maybe there is no reason, but to my friend that he wanted to save the money when the 741 can do the job, if the quantity is enough, probably someday you can try it.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
To you maybe there is no reason, but to my friend that he wanted to save the money when the 741 can do the job, if the quantity is enough, probably someday you can try it.
That is unlikely since I have been retired for over 8 years, and my main priority is to not outlive my resources.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Another choice is to use LF356.

Applications
• Precision High-Speed Integrators
• Fast D/A and A/D Converters
• High Impedance Buffers
• Wideband, Low Noise, Low Drift Amplifiers
• Logarithmic Amplifiers
• Photocell Amplifiers
• Sample and Hold Circuits