Weird issue in toy circuit

danielzuliani

Joined Dec 17, 2019
Hi, I'm new in the forum and I don't know much about circuit but I have a problem and would like your insights!
I have this toy called B Symphony. Is a great music toy, you can google it and take a look.
The point is it got wet and the main circuit suffered some damage. I cleaned it but know I'm getting some weird issues. If I try to use it, the music plays for a few seconds and then stops. Sometimes pressing some buttons makes a distorted sound, but it always stops after some seconds.
But the thing I don't get is: If the music is playing and I keep pushing any button (lights, volume, tempo, etc), it works perfectly and doesn't stop nor makes any distorted sound
So I'm guessing there may be a solution but I don't have a clue how or why it works while pressing buttons. Some kind of power problem? Any cdeas?
Thanks!

I've attached some pics so you can see the damage

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi dan,
Welcome to AAC.
It appears that the PCB has some missing/damaged tracks, due to corrosion, as marked on this image.
You could try linking the two damaged track sections, by soldering a thin copper wire as a link. [ the Red and Green are separate links]
If the corrosion has entered the the IC thru the damaged pin, then its not going to be possible to fix the PCB.
E
IMG_20191217_194521a.jpg

danielzuliani

Joined Dec 17, 2019
That was my guess! Thanks. Any explanation about why tapping continuously the button "fixs" it temporarily? Maybe because it requests more power and more power can go through the damaged tracks. I don't understand!

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
If the problem involves residual moisture or subsequent contamination of the button, then one product to try out is electronic contact cleaner spray. This product is usually available at most hardware supply stores. Just spray liberally around the button, cycle the button a few times, and give it time to dry.

danielzuliani

Joined Dec 17, 2019
If the problem involves residual moisture or subsequent contamination of the button, then one product to try out is electronic contact cleaner spray. This product is usually available at most hardware supply stores. Just spray liberally around the button, cycle the button a few times, and give it time to dry.
The buttons are clean. I think I haven't explained it correctly. I push the "music" button and it starts playing. After a few seconds it stops. But if I push the "music" button again and, while playing, I push continuously any OTHER button (not the music but another that has a different functionality and doesn't affect the muisc playing at all) it keeps working without issue.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi dan,
Do those 'rubber' boots over the push switches easily pull off.?
If yes, then check that they are free from moisture/corrosion on the track underneath.
E