Weird Electrical issue to answer please

RondoCunningham

Joined May 12, 2017
I'm having trouble with a heat gun. I work at a work station that is on the same, what appears to be, 20 amp breaker. Theres 3 workstations. All are plugged into 1 outlet. If I dont have all of the lights on the heat gun won't heat up. They are florescent lights so I'm guessing something has to do with the balusters. Just to reiterate. When I turn the lights ALL ON the heat gun works. When I shut one or more off, it stops heating up. Any ideas on why this happens?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Theres 3 workstations. All are plugged into 1 outlet. If I dont have all of the lights on the heat gun won't heat up.
It would be helpful as mentioned to know your location so the applicable wiring code will be known. Would yours be the only workstation of the three exhibiting this problem? Was there a time when things worked correctly? When the heat gun works does it output normal heat and the blower motor run at normal speeds?

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, Buffalo NY. You should have US Standard 120 VAC 60 Hz. and a 20 Amp service outlet line. My guess is the outlet is not configured correctly. All loads should be in parallel with your 120 volt service. My above questions still apply but again my guess is the outlet is not wired correctly for starters. Do you have a facilities engineer or maintenance electricians?

Ron