WD-40 is on the move...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I thought the only real secret about WD40 was the perfume that is added.
Nigel likes it for guitar pots, I used it on my 45 year old guitar when I picked it up, also the Amp that came with it. She plays like a dream now.

kv

Edit: I think Hank is right.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I've always preferred LPS to WD-40. http://www.lpslabs.com/index Back in the day I was into Jeep racing, used LPS to water proof the plug wires and you could go into water deep enough to cover them. But then the stopping point was getting water into the distributor, the old GM widow type caps just couldn't be sealed good enough to keep the engine running.

Will we see a New WD-40 as per the New Coke?

I once printed out the above (changing "ENGINEERING FLOW CHART" to "How to Handle a Maintenance Request" and sent it to some maintenance folks. A colleague had put in a request to have a power outlet installed at a certain place. She needed to move some equipment to that location and, somewhat naively believed that a simple request would get the job done. I chided her at the time saying something like "good luck with that". A few days later she came to me all proud and "I told you so", pointing to her brand new mails socket - right where she wanted it! I asked if she had plugged anything in yet and shortly afterward, her demeanor changed dramatically. Yep, the socket was dutifully installed as requested, it was simply not wired to anything....Ohhhhh you want it to work? Well, that is a different form.

The maintenance folks had a good laugh...as did I.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The permanently attached, pivoting straw on the new WD-40 cans is a neat idea (how many straws have you lost?).
Pivot down, it sprays, pivot up and it's the straw.
I think they had it specifically designed just for there own use.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
The permanently attached, pivoting straw on the new WD-40 cans is a neat idea (how many straws have you lost?).
Pivot down, it sprays, pivot up and it's the straw.
I think they had it specifically designed just for there own use.
No how many straws have my family lost, I've always put it under the tape it came with. Gas can lids, oil spout topper for swamp cooler, lids of all kinds left off and lost.

I scratch my head with disbelief sometimes, I want to kill people at work who should know better to return the caps on my push poles for running wire. That and people who use my small wire cutters for thru hole component ends and ruin them, their not designed for Sh## like that, good grief ignorance is no excuse, just keep your damn hands off my tools or so help me God I will go off. :mad:

kv

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I've always preferred LPS to WD-40. http://www.lpslabs.com/index Back in the day I was into Jeep racing, used LPS to water proof the plug wires and you could go into water deep enough to cover them. But then the stopping point was getting water into the distributor, the old GM widow type caps just couldn't be sealed good enough to keep the engine running.
I agree. LPS 1 for light duty lubrication. LPS 3 for rust prevention -- second only to cosmoline. Blaster for rusted bolts/frozen spark plugs.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I agree. LPS 1 for light duty lubrication. LPS 3 for rust prevention -- second only to cosmoline. Blaster for rusted bolts/frozen spark plugs.
Yes the LPS1 is really a lubricant unlike WD-40. Blaster is OK but I prefer Kroil - http://www.kanolabs.com/google/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIttPipfe93QIVCQlpCh0OoQIAEAAYASAAEgLT3PD_BwE

Funny story from my earlier days. Had a salesman come into the place I worked and he was selling/promoting LPS products. It was summer and he was wearing a light colored dress shirt. He was saying to us how the LPS1 didn't leave even a stain on clothes. But instead of picking up the can of LPS1, he picked up a can of LPS3, # 3 is a black chain and gear lube. He proceeded to spray the sleeve of his shirt. The look on his face and the laughter from all of us was unbelievable. He never came into the shop again. :)

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I don't know what's in WD-40......but if you dab a little on your bait or lure.......you will catch a fish.

Get survival accessory. Or for fishing contests.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I didn't expect to learn so much from this thread, thanks for posting your opinion on those different type of lubricants.
BTW, this is how I make sure that the straw belonging to my can of WD-40 never gets lost:

Image00001.jpg

LPS 3 for rust prevention -- second only to cosmoline
So you would say that cosmoline is the best rust preventer out there? What about WD-40 300038? or CRC SP-400? What do think of those? I'm asking because I design machinery, but seldom I have to get involved in its maintenance or proper storage.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My experience has just been with cosmoline on machine tools and even that experience was 20+ years ago. Simply, I have used LPS3 for heavy duty rust protection and storage. I am guilty of not researching it and being out of date. Thanks for the suggestion.

A can or two of CRC SP-400 is on my next order. For LPS3, I prefer a hand sprayer rather than an aerosol for many things. I'll see if SP-400 is available in liquid -- 5 gallons is available, but more than I need.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
An interesting fact. In the U.S., this lubricant costs about $10.00 dlls:

upload_2018-9-17_10-31-51.png

In Mexico, the exact same thing retails for about $75.00 dlls !!! :eek::mad:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Sounds like a business opportunity. Buy in bulk for $8 and sell in an online store for $15.
The main problem down here is people's lack of knowledge ... they think that 3-in-one oil is just as good as any other lubricant. Of course, that doesn't apply to the large automotive industry we have down here, but to an extent it does to the average small workshop. Yes, it seems like a business opportunity, but it would also take a small army of well-educated salesmen to persuade the consumer of the superiority of the product.