Washing machine motor

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
So i have this really old motor from a washing machine. 15879014767583357621828431010497.jpg
So i connected the motor with the help of an example on the internet and it spined but with really low spin and zero torque. if you touch the axle it stops. I realised that because it isn't a universal motor it needs a capacitor in order to work properly 15879019751042890877484736016589.jpg
I conect the capacitor i think in the correct order because in any other order i hear small explosions ( i really need help). So the motor runs faster but with no torque again. The washing machine worked before i took it apart (they told me). So it has 5 wires. Two connected to the coils and two connected to the brushes (but it doesn't have brushes) and the last one is a smaller in diameter cable that i dint know where it goes . So if someone knows who this will work please tell me.

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
So i have this really old motor from a washing machine. View attachment 205432
So i connected the motor with the help of an example on the internet and it spined but with really low spin and zero torque. if you touch the axle it stops. I realised that because it isn't a universal motor it needs a capacitor in order to work properly View attachment 205433
I conect the capacitor i think in the correct order because in any other order i hear small explosions ( i really need help). So the motor runs faster but with no torque again. The washing machine worked before i took it apart (they told me). So it has 5 wires. Two connected to the coils and two connected to the brushes (but it doesn't have brushes) and the last one is a smaller in diameter cable that i dint know where it goes . So if someone knows who this will work please tell me.
Any model number on the motor, it's a 50Hz 240V type..?
Any model number on the motor, it's a 50Hz 240V type..?
15879102211588774790402153356889.jpg
And the model of the washing machine is candy CT745 T
.So this motor is a brushless motor, it doesnt work as an angle grinder motor that you can remove the brushes

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
15879105926258952529325499787129.jpg
The yellow and the white are connected to the coils. The blue and the red are going through the coil and connected to the core (as i can see ) but the black one i dont understand. Also the pink is for ground

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The service manual does not give much of a clue.
You could measure the resistance between each conductor and try and determine the start and run winding's, it looks like multi speed.
It's an AC induction motor, hence no brushes.
Max.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Some of those older systems used reversible motors. Not saying that's what you have - just saying it's possible you're not wiring it correctly. As for the multiple wires - my mom's old dryer motor had a centrifugal switch. When the motor was spinning it either turned on or off another circuit. Some of those wires MIGHT be something similar.

When I say reversible, one machine I had used one direction to run the agitator and the other direction for spin and drain. But I don't recall seeing a WM motor with a cap. Again, not saying they don't have them - just that I've not seen one.

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
I managed to connect the wires correctly. So the problem was that I wanted to connect all the wires. So the black wire is connected directly to the (live)cable and we have four cables left and one capacitor. Meaning we have two pairs of wires left. The first pair blue and red are for the slow speed of the motor and the yellow end white one for the fast speed. And because in this type of motors you can't connect a potentiometer because it will not work correctly so I managed to put two switches . the first switch turns the motor fast and the second slower.this is the simplest diagram in order to work.

Attachments

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
No - a potentiometer would burn out in an instant. Switches? I didn't see any.

If you want motor speed control you can get them. But I don't know what kind you'd need for a washing machine motor. I'd imagine it has to be pretty robust to handle the startup current.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Speed control of an induction motor is complex if it is any good. And wih a wash machine motor it is not reasonable to try speed controlling.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I managed to connect the wires correctly. So the problem was that I wanted to connect all the wires. So the black wire is connected directly to the (live)cable and we have four cables left and one capacitor. Meaning we have two pairs of wires left. The first pair blue and red are for the slow speed of the motor and the yellow end white one for the fast speed. And because in this type of motors you can't connect a potentiometer because it will not work correctly so I managed to put two switches . the first switch turns the motor fast and the second slower.this is the simplest diagram in order to work.
Yes an induction motor you just change winding's for different speed.
The 2 speeds are all you are probably going to have, were you hoping for variable?
Max.

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
No - a potentiometer would burn out in an instant. Switches? I didn't see any.

If you want motor speed control you can get them. But I don't know what kind you'd need for a washing machine motor. I'd imagine it has to be pretty robust to handle the startup current.
Yes the diagram is just for the motor to work in fast speed. You can add a simple switch but i wanted to represent the simples wiring diagram. You can add a switch or even two of them but the diagram would be a mess. If you want it i can make it

Haropas

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Speed control of an induction motor is complex if it is any good. And wih a wash machine motor it is not reasonable to try speed controlling.
I think the reason I can't connect speed controller is that be that by lowering the voltage I lower the power of the motor generally and not only the RPMs or the torque independently. As a matter of fact I think that the washing machine doesn't even work with speed controller. First runs at low speed and then it stops, then again several times. And in the end it just turns in the fast mode .

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
MOST of the common washing machines from that era only had one motor speed. Many of them simply reversed the motor to control what the pump did, either circulate or drain. The slower part for the agitation was provided by a gearbox, and the high speed spin was through a clutch engaging the tub to a different pulley. There were some more complex machines, but that was how the common ones worked. The Westinghouse Twins pair had a reduction gearbox separate from the other portion to provide the speed reduction. And the fancy front loading Bendix Duo-Matic had a 3-speed gearbox with a single speed motor. It was way ahead of it,s time.