Want to modify a voice changer

Stormageddon

Joined Jan 18, 2016
I have a Velleman Voice Changer Kit, link below is to the aeembly instructions and circuit diagram

http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads/0/minikits/manuals/manual_mk171.pdf

My goal is to make a voice changer that will simulate a stormtrooper voice. For those living under a rock, it sounds a lot like what you get from a walkie talkie, but with a noticeable click about 1/2 second after speech ends. I'm totally new to the world of electronics and am a bit overwhelmed with all that I've just read. My question to the resident experts is, would this kit be a good starting point for what I want to achieve? Are there any simple modifications I could make to it? Am I being too ambitious for a novice? I plan on doing more research as I get time, I have to remember my schoolboy physics class, which was a llllllooooonnnnggggg time ago.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I don't know that kit but what you're looking for in stormtrooper audio is mainly compression and some filtering.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The click is added in post production as an audio effect. It simulates what is called a squelch tail, the period of time it takes for the hands-free microphone circuit to decide that you really have stopped talking and turn off the transmitter.

ak

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
The Velleman and Sparkfun kits are modulators and transposers. You need compression (radio voice), filtering and possibly some transposition. There is audio software that you can use to experiment with these effects but the only stand alone units I've seen are the Roland BOSS models sold to musicians.

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
I think that you may be living under a rock because you know next to nothing about electronics and you are willing to come here for free help and insult us.

Stormageddon

Joined Jan 18, 2016
Thanks for putting me in my place. I'll cancel my membership and go find somewhere with a sense of humour. To those who offered help, thanks so much, I have a better idea of what I need to do now.