W10 forcible upgrade

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Well, there's no such guarantee, but can you be sure your beloved Win 7 or whatever doesn't have a back-door to enable M$ to de-activate it remotely if they so desired?
The original Win 7 eula does not include that right. Win 10 eula does.

Ones remedy, of course, is to re-install Win 7, but by that time, M$ may no longer recognize the activation code. Almost that exact thing happened when I needed to re-install Photoshop CS3 after I had to replace the C-drive a bit more than year ago. It only took one letter to get my re-installed version re-activated. There was no communication from Adobe, it just happened when I turned on my PC one day shortly after the letter.

Unfortunately, reversion to Win 7 will have its problems, even if it can be activated. You may loose Win 10 files, e-mails, and shortcuts and folders on the Desktop. I suspect M$ will disavow any responsibility for those problems. After all, it gave you "free" use of Win 10 for however long, and it warned you to make back-ups.

John

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What kind of a internet plan do you have that you are limited to "X" amount of bandwidth? Thats goofy.. Sucks to be you..
Or is it that sound of your 56k modem that you don't like grandpa :p

I pay for the maximum speed limit ($35 for 50Mbps, $65 for 300Mbps,etc..) and havYou go right aheade NO cap on any bandwidth limit.. Its not like old phone data plans..
I wasn't aware that they even have capped plans for home internet..

And all OS's have ALWAYS "phoned home" to check for updates etc... Programs do the same.. virus software updates itself.. ,etc...
Since cable is not available I use my iPhone as a hotspot, and yes my bandwidth is limited. I was lied to when I bought the house -- so in some sense it sucks to be me. Nevertheless, insulting me is hardly the way to advance your argument. You go right ahead because I'm impervious to your particular brand of trash talking. Oh and BTW Mr. Softie can go suck a lemon drop.

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
The "Reserve you copy of Windows 10" used to appear only once or twice a week on my Win 7 machine, and it would go away if I ignored it. Now it appears several time a day and I have to click the X to make it go away. M.S. is stepping up the pressure.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
have much admiration for Steve Gibson (grc.com)

edit: a 38k file to fix a problem

sitting on the keys memory stick now :)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
a 38k file to fix a problem
The Slammer worm is only 376 bytes. Code to kill a Windows PC can be written in 5 bytes.

My concern is the requirement to trust third party software to fix first party (Microsoft) problems. This is a common issue with Windows.

Steve Gibson may be honorable and all that, but I'll bet you $100 that there are downloadable "solutions" that will fill your PC with all kinds of malware. You may know the difference, but most Windows users do not.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
The "Reserve you copy of Windows 10" used to appear only once or twice a week on my Win 7 machine, and it would go away if I ignored it. Now it appears several time a day and I have to click the X to make it go away. M.S. is stepping up the pressure.
Hi Lestraveled, This is the time to move to Linux. Most of the technical applications will have a Linux version.
Keep a win pc disconnected from internet to do the win specific applications.
I am really furious to see MS misbehave ( read blackmailed). Their market dominance caused by us all, the poor an innocent buyers, is now turned against us.
Question; whom to trust in future?
Picbuster