W10 forcible upgrade

jmoffat

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Today at work Microsoft started started upgrading our computers to Windows 10. This happened with out any intervention from a computer user. This forced upgrade must surely make any eula invalid. I want to join in any class action suit that comes from this gross violation of privacy. Anybody know where I can go to join the angry mob with pitchforks and torches? I say we give them atomic wedgies like the world has never seen before. Seroiusly this can not be legal. But then Microsoft has always held itself above the law

Jim

Microsoft H8r

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If problems arise as a result of the 'upgrade' it will be interesting to see if someone sues them for damages in respect of broken systems, lost production, time spent sorting out compatibility issues etc.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So far I have been able to repel the barbarians at the gate. I have blacklisted about two dozen KB patches and removed the ones that snuck onto my machine with DISM -- an awesome tool. Fortunately it was just GWX and the preparation updates. AFAIK Windows 10 has not been installed on any of my machines. I'll smash the hard drive with a hammer if any of them succumb to the virus.

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
I knew when I first heard of "push technology" that I wasn't going to like it.

Can you provide a link to site(s) that discuss/identify the KB patches to blacklist?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I wonder whether networked systems with highly confidential information on them, such as attorneys, judges, schools, physicians/hospitals, and governmental, are being spared the invasion. While it may be claimed that the information thereon is not being accessed, the mere ability to access it is problematic.

What if that hypothetical physician has an application, say a radiology viewer, that does not work with Win10? Years ago, I had a wonderful indexing program for scanned documents that worked on Win98 but not XP. It would have been a disaster if WinXP had been forced onto that machine.

John

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
http://www.infoworld.com/article/29...agware-on-windows-7-windows-81-computers.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how...-windows-10-automatically/?PageSpeed=noscript
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/08/windows_10_upgrade_blocker/

Look for other threads on Windows 10 blocking on this site.

MyList
KB2506928
KB2545698
KB2592687
KB2660075
KB2726535
KB2876229
KB2923545
KB2952664 -- This one REQUIRES DISM to remove it
KB2970228
KB2976978
KB2990214
KB2994023
KB3004394
KB3021917
KB3022245
KB3035583
KB3044374
KB3050265
KB3065987
KB3068708
KB3075249
KB3080149

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I wonder whether networked systems with highly confidential information on them, such as attorneys, judges, schools, physicians/hospitals, and governmental, are being spared the invasion. While it may be claimed that the information thereon is not being accessed, the mere ability to access it is problematic.

What if that hypothetical physician has an application, say a radiology viewer, that does not work with Win10? Years ago, I had a wonderful indexing program for scanned documents that worked on Win98 but not XP. It would have been a disaster if WinXP had been forced onto that machine.

John
I know the sysadmins at my last employer vetted all patches to the corporate domain very carefully. I also know that the industrial PC's I made images for had windows update blocked for the same reason. When millions of dollars of production are at stake you can't have some doofus from Redmond mucking with the OS. Downtime on those systems is very EXPENSIVE.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I reviewed the links you (Papabravo) provided. One of them made it clear that corporate accounts were not getting forced to upgrade as individual accounts have been. That was good to learn.

Nevertheless, many professionals work from home. In fact, it is common for radiologists to review images on their home computers and produce their interpretations from those home computers. I suspect the same applies to most of the professionals I listed. I do not know whether those computers have the same protections as the ones at corporate entities have.

When I was working, I kept a separate computer running XP at home that was not connected to the Internet. I only connected it when logging into work.

John

I reviewed the links you (Papabravo) provided. One of them made it clear that corporate accounts were not getting forced to upgrade as individual accounts have been. That was good to learn.

Nevertheless, many professionals work from home. In fact, it is common for radiologists to review images on their home computers and produce their interpretations from those home computers. I suspect the same applies to most of the professionals I listed. I do not know whether those computers have the same protections as the ones at corporate entities have.

When I was working, I kept a separate computer running XP at home that was not connected to the Internet. I only connected it when logging into work.

John
These things:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_technology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Imaging_Format

must be the work of the Devil. :rolleyes:

Why must I use things like Adblocker, NoScript, Spybot AntiBeacon (https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/) to protect myself from all those entities out there that think my computer is their playground?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Don't you have 30 days to downgrade to the previous version of the OS when W10 is either optionally or automatically installed?

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So far I have been able to repel the barbarians at the gate. I have blacklisted about two dozen KB patches and removed the ones that snuck onto my machine with DISM -- an awesome tool. Fortunately it was just GWX and the preparation updates. AFAIK Windows 10 has not been installed on any of my machines. I'll smash the hard drive with a hammer if any of them succumb to the virus.
I too installed GWX on all my computers running windows 7 and I haven't had a problem since.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The last forced upgrade killed my wireless drivers. So after appropriate backup it is as full reinstall to Win7 for me, dang it.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Win 10 tried to install itself on one of my notebooks that was running win 7 home, but the install failed. Since then, after a lot of hassle I manage to get it working again but every time I went to "update" it showed a red msg that said win 10 update failed, try again. By ignoring this, and checking for updates it would always say "downloading windows 10, getting setup files" but was actually only downloading normal updates.
I downloaded GWX standalone version, (see post 10 by cmartinez) ran every option to remove anything to do with win 10, Made sure that previously hidden updates kb305583 & kb295564 were hidden again after clearing the cache, and so far, (fingers crossed) it now seems to work as it had prior to the failed update.
This has caused me hours of unnecessary frustration and inconvenience all due to microsoft forcing something I never asked for onto MY property, NOT theirs!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
And what are we supposed to do, when a forced upgrade breaks production systems, and causes a loss of use for a day or more while said systems are being rebuilt? Let's say the entity thus affected is a highly visible corporate entity, for whom loss of their systems results in millions of dollars of lost revenue? Is Redmond going to pay that bill?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Most business desktops are managed systems not running Home editions of the OS software. The W10 forcible upgrade should never happen in a corporate IT environment with enterprise versions of software. I still see the pester messages on some Pro installs but nothing will happen until a sysadmin approves of the upgrade.

Your system administrator has blocked upgrades on this PC

Check with your system administrator about upgrading this PC to Windows 10.

Are you a system administrator? You can customize this app to get your organization upgraded to Windows 10. Find out how.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/30...hed-pcs-are-sprouting-get-windows-10-ads.html

Last edited: