voltage in a capacitor

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
If it is possible to connect a capacitor to an AC power supply and when diconect it is discharged because I did it in the moment that the current changes its path. It occurred to me just after the firts post. Later some people confirmed that.

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
It seems like Rufinus does know what he's talking about. But those bare mains wires might make some people nervous.
Yes, I understand, first I connect the alligators, and then I plugged the plug in the 220VAC sockect. I don´t even try to manipulate the alligators if there are connected to 220VAC

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If it is possible to connect a capacitor to an AC power supply and when diconect it is discharged because I did it in the moment that the current changes its path. It occurred to me just after the firts post. Later some people confirmed that.
Every time you disconnect the AC voltage there is no way of knowing the phase at the time of disconnect.
Your voltage reading across the capacitor is unpredictable.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you disconnect it at the moment that the current changes direction the capacitor will NOT be discharged, it will be charged to its greatest degree and hence have the highest magnitude of voltage across it.

In order to disconnect it and have it be discharged you would need to disconnect it at the moment that it is at the greatest current because that is what is happening as the voltage passes through zero.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
At 50Hz the AC voltage has a period of 20ms. In order to disconnect the capacitor at a particular phase angle you would need an electronic circuit. You cannot do this manually.

There are some things you cannot check experimentally without special equipment and you simply have to accept theory.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't think he was trying to disconnect at a particular phase angle, but was rather doing what amounts to a Monte Carlo experiment by making a lot of random measurements and noting whether the observed behavior is in line with what theory predicts.

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Yes yes, I know that is almost impossible have the capacitor completely uncharged with that method, but the results (Different polarities and voltages) confirm my theory.