Variable Voltage phone charger

The Engineer

Joined Sep 3, 2014
I am wondering if it would be possibe to create a variable mobile phone charger in order to use one charger for multiple mobile phones. e.g 3.7V and 5V setting, and interchangeble cable ends to fit a multitude of mobiles.
I am studying electrical engineering however fairly new to the subject so ANY advice would be greatly appreacicated. Thanks

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I can't think of how you could make the charger smart enough to detect what type of load is attached to it, unless you also have dedicated connectors which might contain that information, for instance by placing a programmed voltage onto otherwise unused data pins.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
it is usually built into the batteries, along with thermal detectors to keep th batteries from overheating during charging. some batteries even have logic in them that keeps track of how many times they have been charged. a simple battery detection circuit uses a resistor in the battery, when the battery is plugged into the charger, the charger measures the resistor to tell what type it is and what charge to put in.thats why a lot of batteries have more than two connections.

The Engineer

Joined Sep 3, 2014
Thankyou for your answers, after looking into the idea in more detail I am going to give it a miss as there seem to be too many variables to create something that would cover a large enough amount of battery designs.