Using SMT on your old B.B.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I just used an adapter to mount a SOIC-16 MC14490 chip on a Vectorbord® .

You need to really clamp or solder that little adapter to something solid first before trying to solder the chip to it. :mad:

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If anyone is looking for pins to make their own SIP adapters, I have pins for 2 or 3 board thicknesses available for trade or sell. I'll send samples to anyone who sends me a self addressed stamped envelope.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I just used an adapter to mount a SOIC-16 MC14490 chip on a Vectorbord® .

You need to really clamp or solder that little adapter to something solid first before trying to solder the chip to it. :mad:
Try using sticky tack ... I heard it works pretty good on holding chips when soldering...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Years ago, Velleman sold sheets (about 4"x6") that had adapter PCB. The price was reasonable when considered cost/adapter. Last time I looked, the adapters were quite expensive compared to what was going on them. Given the cost/in^2 for cheap, commercial PCB's, one only needs to plan a little ahead and get them cheaper that way.

John

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I've been using surfboards for quite some time. I like them a lot - . I don't particularly care for them standing on end because they move around, but I do like that they have extra pads on the board just about everywhere.

There's another brand that I've been using more of these days - but they have an awful brand name so I always go have to look it up on their silkscreen - and I'm at home right now. Found them! http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?N=4294759014 - these are nice - you get a lot of them too for $50 or so too. I can have a tssop up and going in about 3 minutes. I also add decoupling right to the board so it's not taking up breadboard space. Using these also helps plan your layout for a nice smooth transition - something I like.

Something I should point out is that many of these small chip can be difficult to use on a breadboard because of they are so fast! Layout is critical!