Using Smith Chart to determine impedance on other side of LC filter

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by Telegraph, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Telegraph

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Using an antenna analyzer to look at the impedance of a low band antenna. Problem is there is a strong AM station that overloads the analyzer. If a filter (band stop or high pass) is placed between the antenna and analyzer all I see is the impedance out of the filter. The value measured varies with different loads on the other side. I thought I might be able to use a Smith Chart to take the impedance as measured by the analyzer and calculate back through the filter to determine what is on the antenna side. I made the filter so I know what the values are for the capacitors and inductors.

Using both manual calculations on the Smith Chart and on-line Smith Chart tools I am unable to get this to work. I am using a load to simulate the antenna in the lab. My calculations do not come anywhere near the simulated load.

Anyone have any thoughts on this approach?

2. danadak

Mar 10, 2018
  3. Telegraph

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Yes, the S-parameters should work. I think I found my problem. Basically the problem was between the Smith Chart and my chair. :) The model I made was not entirely correct. Adding to that I made a few mistakes on the Smith Chart.

Thanks for the input.

Mike