Using Simetrix to step down voltage

lonetraider

Joined Aug 14, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm having to use Simetrix and I do not like it one bit, I've been struggling all day to try and do something which I managed in 5min using Tina, however my university requires me to use Simetrix otherwise I'll fail.

All I want to do is inject 230V RMS into a transformer and get 23V RMS out the other side. Sounds simple, maybe with Tina, but not with Simetrix.

Whenever I create the very basic circuit I get DCOP failed. I then place resistors to ground on both sides of the transformer, and I manage to get it running and to get a signwave, but I'm getting 230V RMS in, and 40mV out.

Infuriating.

Like I said it should be 23V RMS o/p

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Is there a required way to specify the mutual coupling between primary and secondary in Simetrix.?

In LTS its K L1 L2 1, where the '1' is the coupling Constant.
It sounds like that is the component in your model that is missing or wrong.
E

lonetraider

Joined Aug 14, 2016
hi,
Is there a required way to specify the mutual coupling between primary and secondary in Simetrix.?

In LTS its K L1 L2 1, where the '1' is the coupling Constant.
It sounds like that is the component in your model that is missing or wrong.
E
Hi Eric,

Just to let you know I got to the bottom of this stupid thing. There is a fault with the simulation. Instead of using the "ideal transformer", I used an "ideal dc transformer" in the exact same circuit - straight away it works and it collaborates with the calculations I have been doing. I should have thought something was wrong when I found the wave being transformed into a cosine, that was very weird.

So, to sum - don't trust simulations 100%

Thanks for all your help mate.