Using a TINY 96 GW Motor for Electric Pencil Sharpener

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
This 6V, 16GA* motor, is less than one inch long!
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-600RP...&qid=1549244434&sr=8-1&keywords=6v+16ga+motor
Does anyone have any ideas how they created such a small but powerful motor?

Actually though, I am trying to electrify a pencil sharpener. However, I still need a lot of portability. I want a motor that is less than 2 inches long, spins at 600-1200 RPM, and is around 10 watts. Voltage doesn't matter, as long as it is < 30V. It also must have a diameter of 1 inch or less. Suggestions? I am having difficulty finding something like this.

*no load current. I wonder how much it is when loaded...?

Last edited:

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
Your link goes to a fuse assortment. You may want to fix that.

As to a motor I have seen some high torque low speed DC motors. Motors similar to this but you need the higher RPM. Most are geared as in the link and that can afford high torque at lower RPM. You may find something in these 20 pages or so from Amazon.

Ron
I did, just now. The thing is, most of the motors are 3+ inches, which is too long for it to be as portable as I want. If anyone knows of some motors that fit those requirements, that would be great.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
There must be something out there since a Google of "battery powered pencil sharpener" brings up plenty of them. Like you, I can't find a small motor with the speed range and torque you want.

Ron

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Does anyone have any ideas how they created such a small but powerful motor?
Generally speaking - the motor is likely just a fairly common motor. What I see in the link you provide is a set of planetary gears inside that end housing that reduces the RPM output. Reducing the output by 50% means increasing the torque by 50%. If (and I have no idea how much they are) you reduce the output RPM by 80% you increase the torque by 80%. So to answer your question on how they achieve such high torque it has to do with motor speed and gear reduction.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
Generally speaking - the motor is likely just a fairly common motor. What I see in the link you provide is a set of planetary gears inside that end housing that reduces the RPM output. Reducing the output by 50% means increasing the torque by 50%. If (and I have no idea how much they are) you reduce the output RPM by 80% you increase the torque by 80%. So to answer your question on how they achieve such high torque it has to do with motor speed and gear reduction.
See - no load current: 16GA. Voltage: 6V.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
There must be something out there since a Google of "battery powered pencil sharpener" brings up plenty of them. Like you, I can't find a small motor with the speed range and torque you want.

Ron
The thing is, I want to make the most powerful portable pencil sharpener out there. I don't want to buy something, especially if it's underpowered. Actually, I had an idea. Are there any small 1 inch diameter 1-2 inch long BLDC drone motors out there, ideally 200-400KV? And are there small driver boards?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
16GA??? 16 Giga Amp motor?? Bringing you own reactor with you camping?
I was wondering the same thing. What is the TS using "GA" to represent? Those small motors can be powerful because of speed, not torque. AND creating "the most powerful pencil sharpener" seems to ignore that there are FAR BETTER mechanical pencils that have been cheap and available for at least ten years, and not quite so cheap for 20 years before that.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
16GA??? 16 Giga Amp motor?? Bringing you own reactor with you camping?
The data sheet on the motor says it is 35mA@5V (rated supply) unloaded, so I can't find any correlation to the ratings, nor decode whatever that is supposed to mean.

He wants to do something fun, and that's great, but I am not sure he can count on Amazon as a guide to motors.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thread title is even worse, 16GW @ 6V. TS won't answer the question about how old he is, I've asked it before.
Check the profile page. It is not a kid if the data is correct.
But the sellers information provided with the motor could be a fantasy. I saw an add for "100 WATT COMPUTER SPEAKERS" , battery powered but they also included a 12 volt 100mA wall wart supply to use instead of the batteries. At best, half the stuff posted is correct. When I search for information, ebay always comes back and claims they have it in stock, when they have no clue what it is. I do not like being lied to, but I am used to it.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
Thread title is even worse, 16GW @ 6V. TS won't answer the question about how old he is, I've asked it before.
"G" is the SI prefix for a billion ("giga"). A is usually used to represent amps. The title is 96 GW, meaning 16GA*6V = 96GW (power equation). And google already has enough of my info, I don't want to put more identifying stuff out there.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The gearbox required to reduce the 10,000 RPM speed of this motor to the required 30RPM for a pencil sharpener will be very impressive indeed. But I suppose that it could instead spin a router bit to shave off a very small amount of wood and graphite with each rev and possibly make a good sharpener. But rotating the pencil would need to be done manually The thing would not at all look like a standard pencil sharpener, nor could the construction be at all the same. The speed reducer would only need to be a 4:1 reducer then. Much more reasonable.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The electric one on my desk uses 4 AA cells, it has a 'standard' looking hand style sharpener that is rotated, one advantage is if the batteries are flat I just use it as a normal manual version.;)

upload_2019-2-5_15-46-52.jpeg

Max.