Using a Solar regulator in a battery charger

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am wanting to build a 25 Amp 24 Volt battery charger

I have a 220 to 30 750 Va transformer which i rectified through a 30 Amp bridge rectifier and smoothed with a capacitor.

I then took the cables from there into a JUTA CM3024Z solar regulator. It did not work !

I have opened the regulator and noticed that the Solar panel +ve, Battery +ve and Lamp +ve are all linked.

I am not sure what to do from here.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Most solar regulators work through the negative line. Also they don't like being fed from a battery charger. Sugest you read the instructions, the ones I use say to connect regulator to the battery first then the solar panel. The reason being they have a micro processer that checks whether the system is 24v or 12v. http://www.solarsolved.co.za/datasheets/chargecontroller/PWM/30Amp Solar Charge Controller.pdf
Thank you for the advice, i read the instructions and couldn't see where it said to connect the battery first but what you have told me makes perfect sense.

A rectified and smoothed supply is this not what the output of a solar panel would be? I just thought that by having a constant voltage the regulator would control the charge current and float the batteries once fully charged?

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
On page 3 (disassemble) in poor English, Solar first then battery. not shown but the reverse Battery first then Solar. You can try the charger but its not recommended.