Using a programmable timer from ebay to power a simple dc motor.

Ser97

Joined May 1, 2016
Screenshot_2016-05-01-13-11-13.png

Ok, so l am an engineering student in Maryland and for our design project in our intro class we have decided to build an automatic plant watering device. Since my programming skills are slim to non(i can program my ti84 to pump out answers in calc, and matlab to answer matrix problems) l figured buying a timer circuit would be the cheapest and easiest route. My classmate has one of the timers and swears it converts dc to ac and since our pump is 6 to 12 vdc will obviously not work. The controller i have (info in pdf and pics shown) looks like i can do the simple task i ask off a 9v (i know it won't work long term but hey it only needs to work once, plan was to use aa and a battery pack but our budget didn't allow this).

So my main question is will following my schematic give me the functions i desire (to turn on for x amount of time every y amount of mins/hours) or should we go another route. I would Normally test before posting but i don't have access to anything other than the timer and can't afford to go out and buy even a power supply until Friday. I did search before posting while there was similar post they were using other microchips,or other ideas like a clock.etc as timers.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That timer doesn't convert DC to AC, which would require an inverter circuit (I suggest you not listen to your classmate about electronic information whether he swears or not :rolleyes:).
It operates from DC and controls a SPDT relay contact that can switch either AC or DC.