USA Mains Plugs

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If both Blades are Straight how can they say it is Polarized?

I did Buy them and you can Plug them into the Outlet both ways.
The kind of problem a polarized plug eliminates, ( the Live is the smaller pin) is when used with something like a table lamp which when connected, the polarization prevents the outer screw of the lamp socket to be live and possibly create a hazard due to ease of making contact with it.,

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
For a lamp application the main benefit of a polarized plug is that if, in the process of changing a bulb with the plug in a live outlet, and if you put your finger inside the empty light socket, you are less likely to be shocked.
Thus the main intention of the polarized plugs is to prevent natural selection.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I Live in the USA and a lot of my Lamps have Polarized Plugs.

So One Blade is bigger then the other.

I went on Amazon looking for Replacements Plugs.

I found this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GRFGHZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It says it is a Straight Blade Polarized Plug.

If both Blades are Straight how can they say it is Polarized?

I did Buy them and you can Plug them into the Outlet both ways.
Did you read any of the comments? Most of them make very clear that they are not polarized. Also, they make it pretty evident that the quality is extremely poor.

Having said that, there is nothing contradictory about a "straight blade polarized plug" -- the blades being straight (as opposed to other shapes like in some countries) does not preclude one being bigger than the other in order to achieve polarization.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For a lamp application the main benefit of a polarized plug is that if, in the process of changing a bulb with the plug in a live outlet, and if you put your finger inside the empty light socket, you are less likely to be shocked.
Thus the main intention of the polarized plugs is to prevent natural selection.
See previous post to the quote! :(

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Most local hardware stores sell the polarized plugs with the one wider blade. But how much of an actual hazard is there in changing a light bulb in a lamp, if you are even just reasonably careful and pay attention to what you are doing.
as for amazon, the only information that you can trust is the price and the shipping weight. The lower prices are because they save money on customer service employees.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You might go to your nearest hardware store -- they are almost guaranteed to carry a few different kinds.

Since you found that one on Amazon, why didn't you look at the other options they offered, such as

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Extension-Replacement-Appliances-54268/dp/B000BP7WJ6
That was the first result for “polarized replacement plug” so I am not sure what @biferi chose as search terms. That one looks good though suffers the same problem as most replacement line cord plugs of being rather bulky.

This old-fashioned IDC type that works with 18/2 zip cord is very elegant but very specific to that wire.