Unexpected behavior from vintage 7-SEG display

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
A more modern device - also 0.5" - has similar voltage and current specs. The big difference though is that the modern device generates a brightness of around 3,000 μC whereas the older one has brightness of around 600 μC for about the same voltage/current (power).

That's at least 5 times more light output.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
hi A,
I would suggest you scan this link, it will give you a better understanding of the actual plots for LED Diode.

E
https://www.vedantu.com/question-an...lass-12-physics-cbse-5fbb5927ffe88b10a66cfaec
Thank you Eric.

My point was simply that I expected the current to rise as the voltage rises - once conduction, once light, begins, that's all I was saying, that voltage should approx follows Ohms law, what I was seeing was the current freeze as 43mA no matter how high voltage got, I agree a diode does not have a strictly linear graph nor do the LED's in the chart you shared, but I does rise as V rises.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi A,
As long, you are that aware semiconductor junctions do not have a linear Voltage versus Current relationship, that's the message I was trying to get across. :)

BTW: Don't run your segments above 20mA when using a continuous drive current, if you ever use a pulse drive I would suggest less than 40 to 50mA.
E

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
hi A,
As long, you are that aware semiconductor junctions do not have a linear Voltage versus Current relationship, that's the message I was trying to get across. :)

BTW: Don't run your segments above 20mA when using a continuous drive current, if you ever use a pulse drive I would suggest less than 40 to 50mA.
E
Thanks Eric, I appreciate the input, no argument about the accuracy of what you say.

Its been literally decades, perhaps forty years since I did much of anything with electronics and I have been having some fun just playing around at the most basic level recently. I work as a software developer today but trained in analog and digital electronics and telecommunications in the years 1979 and 1980, covered a lot of serious stuff too.

But I never worked professionally with electronics (despite several attempts) and "ended up" working in software, I miss the days of BC108s, home made TRF radios, 7400 ICs and 4000 CMOS ICs and so on.

I get rather tired of software, I'm very experienced and regard myself as very competent in various aspects of it, but it does get a little tired as a hobby, microcontrollers are fascinating and I'm very much at home with the software side of that but the electronics is rusty, fragmented, gappy.

Anyway, sorry to waffle, I just also got a trivial piece of functionality working on a new FPGA board (Arty A7-35T) and I must say it is refreshing to work with hardware in this way, not writing code (well, not imperative code anyway) so I'm looking forward to learning more about these FPGAs, the tutorial article went well (I'm only partway through) and is well written, all of the guy's instructions went like clockwork, he left no important details out and I was able to follow it fine.