Underdriven LEDs from 120VAC

primuspaul

Joined Feb 6, 2018
I did some searching to try and figure out how to do this, but never found any detailed examples. I want to connect a bunch of 12V LED chips in series directly to 120VAC with no drivers or power converters. The only other item I want to use is diodes. Obviously I can't connect 10 LEDs in series directly since the reverse current will kill the LEDs. So I will put a diodes to direct the current in one direction only.

I want this to be a slightly underdriven application to reduce heat and heatsink cost, while increasing LED life. I have a few questions about the design:

1. What will be the ending voltage at each LED? Will it be 12V or 6V?
2. Where does the other half of the AC go? Is it converted to heat? If so, should I add another circuit to pick up the other side of the AC?

Mod edit: delete schematics

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Welcome to AAC but sorry, we don’t allow LEDs to mains discussions due to the inherent safety hazards. This restriction is noted in our Terms Of Service/User’s Agreement. Thanks for your understanding.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is in violation of the Terms of Service and will be closed.

Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Any kind of jammers (ie - Phone jammers)
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies