Two 12vdc pc psu's in series to get 24v

Cirquit

Joined Aug 29, 2020
Hi, new here, pretty new to electronics too.

I found a led tv at the tip and think trying to fix it is a good way to learn.

So far in desoldering parts and testing them I've found (on the power board, blown fuse) a tiny diode and a mosfet to be no good and in the process of doing that found my skills and tools are lacking so I think I'll just desolder the whole board and learn about that and testing in the process.

I've got a 12v pc psu that'll provide 5 and 12 volts.

I'm thinking of connecting 2 12v pc psu's in series to get 24v.

Is this diagram applicable?

https://www.acopian.com/AcopianPowerSupplies/images/Blog4-SeriesPS.gif

If so, how do I id the sense wires.
What diode to use.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Cirquit,
Welcome to AAC.
What is the model number/type of the 12Vdc power supplies.?

I would say that the diagram you posted may not apply to your PSU.s
E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi C,
Checking the label image, I would say all the six voltage outputs share a common 0v connection.

Connecting two PSU in series to give 24v would effect the other voltage levels.
Do you plan to use the +3.3v, +5v, -5v etc...?

Tried the link in post #3, I cannot see a specification table, just a request to order the PSU.

E

Last edited:

Cirquit

Joined Aug 29, 2020
Hi E,
The psu (imaged) will provide 5 and 12 v

the pair of voltron psu's: I mean to just use the 24 volts from putting them in series. (looking at using the other voltages is interesting, but the tv only uses 5,12 and 24 v)

The specs as provided by the link are
ARMAGGEDDON VOLTRON BRONZE 235 FX
MULTICOLOR LED LIGHT
242W STANDARD RATED POWER
WIDE VOLTAGE 170V – 240V
BUILT IN 120MM SILENT FAN
HDD 4 PIN x 2
SATA x 4
20+4 PIN MOTHERBOARD x 1
PCI-E 6+2 PIN
4+4 PIN CPU + 12V X 1
I assume that as a pc atx psu the pinout is standard?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi C,
This ATX circuit is similar to the type you plan to use, showing a common chassis ground, it may be useful

I have never tried connecting two ATX PSU's in series, perhaps another member may have already have a working solution.

E

Attachments

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The one thing that crosses my mind as a word of caution is how the units are grounded. I would be careful - very careful - that grounding both units doesn't result in short circuiting one of the two supplies. Assume the negative is grounded on both units. Now, connect the positive of one of the two PS's and through earth ground it gets shorted out.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
In addition to this caution - if you defeat the grounding pins on the power cords, if the two boxes come in contact with each other, again you will have a short circuit condition. It's likely the PS will just shut down (over current protection) but I wouldn't be the one to try.

You will need complete isolation of both supplies, isolated from ground and from each other. It would be helpful if we knew what you were trying to do. You mention a TV that works on 5, 12 and 24 V (assuming DC). If that's the load you want to power then we need more information on the TV. We need more information on whatever it is you're powering.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
ericgibbs I may just go ahead and isolate my ATX PS. There's no real need to hold the negative to ground. I could add a switch onto the PS if ever I need negative to be grounded. Great videos. Should have taken a look sooner.