TV Not working.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hello guys,
My Tv Day before yesterday is not working when power supply is on.
Actually there was low voltage in phase in morning since last two days what will be the problem?
At afternoon and evening the voltage is normal but TV is not showing any response, why?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
There should be a wire that comes off the back of the television. There should be prongs on the end of the wire. Look very carefully on the inside wall of your home. You should see a socket with holes similar to the plug at the end of the wire. Plug the prongs into that socket.

Turn the television on.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
There should be a wire that comes off the back of the television. There should be prongs on the end of the wire. Look very carefully on the inside wall of your home. You should see a socket with holes similar to the plug at the end of the wire. Plug the prongs into that socket.

Turn the television on.
not working i have called service/repair men he will see.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Anyway, I open another TV how it work and learn how to repair he is screen shot.
Please explain how it is working it has chip also..la76931k

Attachments

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
For a general explanation of how a TV works, the internet is better. This forum is good for detailed, specific questions, whose answers cannot be found with a simple Google search.

If I understand right, the pictures are of a different TV from the one that is broken. But if that was the broken set, here would be my comments. It appears to be a CRT television, perhaps 10 years old. I can't read the label in the picture. Usually, it's good to take a picture of the label on the back of the TV, as that gives the full manufacturer, model number, and possibly more useful information. There is a lot of dust inside. That's ok, but for debugging, the first thing I would do is clean off as much of the dust as possible. Then everyone can see what's going on. When a TV is not turning on at all (no LEDs, no nothing), suspect a power supply issue. Assuming you have multimeter, check for power at various places, starting from the line (mains) cord. There may be a blown fuse, bad switch, or loose wire. Look for bulging electrolytic capacitors, and replace any you find. TV's typically don't have fans in them, get hot inside, and are not intended to last a long time (add a fan to an ordinary TV, and it will last basically forever). That, and time, degrades electrolytic capacitors. Look over the circuit carefully to see if anything looks like it was burned even slightly. Especially look at power transistors, and things near those transistors.

If you are in an area where the mains voltage often goes low or off, you might want to look at what devices your neighbors are using to deal with it (what model of TV, or maybe they use a voltage stabilizer). I have no direct experience with unreliable power. The bright side is that in areas with unreliable power, labor is likely to be less expensive compared to materials, so there will be repair people you can call. Almost no one in my area (silicon valley, California) gets their TV fixed anymore. When they break, they are donated or thrown away.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Time for a new television. I would think even in India there has not been a CRT TV sold in the past 10 years.

Last picture shows a vertical deflection issue. If I recall there is sometimes an adjustment foer that.

Almost no one in my area (silicon valley, California) gets their TV fixed anymore. When they break, they are donated or thrown away.
Because the newer TVs are more expensive to repair than replace. That old relic the OP has can be repaired. There once were several TV repairmen in my town. One of them was me when I was 15 years old. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
There should be a trim pot to adjust the vertical deflection. Although I would say that you should buy a brand new TV since this one is working on very low refresh rate.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You could spend a lot of time fixing your TV and then, where I live, it would be worth -$10. Note the minus sign.

That's about what the typical disposal charge is. Save your time, take it to the recycler so that you can be rid of it for free, and move on to more productive uses of your time. This is advice from a person that finds it very hard to let go of ... junk.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello,

On this page of the EDUCYPEDIA you might find some hints:
http://educypedia.karadimov.info/electronics/repairtv.htm

Be VERY carefull as there is about 25000 Volts on the outside of the CRT.

Bertus
The EHT isn't as dangerous as the voltage magnitude suggests, most of the danger is from the charge in the capacitor formed by the inner and outer CRT coatings.

Without that capacitance, the EHT lead has a high HF AC component that can draw a fierce arc - that can cause nasty burns, and you may not even feel it till you see it (and/or notice the smell of burning flesh).

The biggest danger is on a set that's not starting up - the mains rectifier reservoir cap can stay charged a long time!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
We don't use CRT now days?
Has India been locked in the technological time warp for the past 10+ years or is it just you?

We recycler (the person who buy old stuff) buy it ?
what the do of it?
No one i wants your old and broken junk. You will most likely need to pay to dispose of it. In the United States, many communities will have hazardous waste collection days. You can drop off things like old TVs free of charge.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I think that this comment is not helping much.
Has India been locked in the technological time warp for the past 10+ years or is it just you?
I allow myself to remind you of this text, from a sticky in this forum:

Responding to threads:

When responding to threads, please follow three key rules:

1. Treat all members with respect.

Remember the members here have different levels of knowledge and understanding; please take this into consideration when assessing the validity of their questions.

2. Authors vary in their clarity.

If you are unsure of the original question, ask for clarification. When answering a question reply in a manner that you would like someone to respond to your query. Where appropriate, cite sources where the questioner can read more about the topic.

3. Think before you reply.

Your response is how people perceive you in this worldwide forum.
Let's try to stay on topic. :)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012

Electronics For You is a magazine published in India, it sometimes turns up on one of the magazines binary groups on Usenet.

You can see, especially from the adverts that India is making technological leaps and bounds.