Turning treadmill into incline trainer

Robertwb70

Joined Feb 12, 2019
I bought a cheap treadmill and want to turn it into an incline trainer (25-30 degree incline). I have made the necessary mechanical modifications to get the incline but now I need a way to slow the belt down. At this incline the treadmill moves faster than I want with no electrical power required (gravity powered now). I would rather not resort to friction braking it. I was hoping a load (light bulb) applied to the motor circuit with a dimmer switch would allow me to slow/control the speed. This somewhat works but I need FAR more slowing down. Ideas?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Use a high wattage, low value resistor, or switch a few selected values in.
What rpm (roughly) is the motor rotating at at the slope required?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Check the motor voltage for rated rpm and pro rate the voltage for 60-70 rpm and this will tell you the generated voltage, will give you an idea of the minimum resistance you could use without motor damage.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You would not need much in the way of resistor value, just a few Ohms, one means of experimenting on the value is to obtain a replacement open coil element, and use a small section at a time.
A local appliance parts store would have one.
You may be able to just short the output and monitor for any motor over heating.
Max.