trying to run atmega328p from arduino uno on breadboard[sketch works on arduino board but on transferring it to the breadboard it doesn't work]

pointdexter16

Joined Oct 31, 2023
I uploaded the basic blink sketch on atmega328p while the chip was on arduino(inbuilt led was blinking i checked) then i removed it and placed it on the breadboard now i powered up the chip with a supply of 5V(approx) placed a 16mhz oscillator and connected the led to pb5 and also set the reset pin to 5V using a resistor but the led doesn't blink any idea on what's going wrong?btw i also checked voltages using multimeter and it reads around 3V across gnd and vcc and at pb5 its only 0.02IMG_1304.pngV w

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi P16,
I circuit diagram would help, where are the GND & AVCC Pins #31,30 connected?
E
EDIT: I have chosen the wrong device for the pin numbers, but Gnd & AVCC need connection.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We cannot see the connections to Vcc and GND on the breadboard. From the photo it would appear that the resistor on pin-1 is connected to GND. Try to use more distinctive colours for your jumper wires. Also, why is the resistor not going directly to pin-1?

sarahMCML

Joined May 11, 2019
We cannot see the connections to Vcc and GND on the breadboard. From the photo it would appear that the resistor on pin-1 is connected to GND. Try to use more distinctive colours for your jumper wires. Also, why is the resistor not going directly to pin-1?
Indeed, connect the resistor directly between pin-1 and pin-7.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
For a start, toss the long leads. I use solid wire from telecom cables for my breadboard tests. And cut them to length so the wires are as short as possible.
See if you can get some Ethernet or data cables to use that wire.
Photo on 1-11-23 at 6.10 pm.jpg
Somewhere I have a length of 50 pair cable. That supplies lots of colours.

Here is an example drawing of a layout with short leads. This is just a quick example from Tinkercad and I could not find other bits to try to make your circuit.
1698823464923.png

Last edited:

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Yes, power supply decoupling is VERY important. It is the foundation of your project. Like any foundation, you need a good one!