Trying to record audio and/or video directly to a USB flash drive

avolkoff

Joined May 23, 2017
I am trying to create a small portable device that can record audio and/or video directly to a removable USB flash drive and was wondering if it is possible.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
With a proper definition of the technical requirements I don't see any problem in making such a device. It might cost more than you are willing to spend, but other than that I can't think of anything that would prevent you from doing it.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I have not verified this but I believe that there are devices like this available in the security camera/monitoring industry.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am not quite sure how I would do it, do you have any ideas?
You will need a processor with a USB peripheral, and some A/D ports for sampling audio, and a camera interface for video input. You'll want to come up with some kind of human interface to control everything and then you'll need to write the firmware for taking the audio/video data, and a file system for writing the data to the USB stick. Piece of cake -- assuming you do a tip-top job of defining your requirements.

avolkoff

Joined May 23, 2017
I want to make a device that can record audio AND video to a USB drive automatically, which can take various drives/memory cards.
I would rather build it myself, if possible, and I also want it to record video.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I want to make a device that can record audio AND video to a USB drive automatically, which can take various drives/memory cards.
I would rather build it myself, if possible, and I also want it to record video.
I can't imagine what is stopping you from proceeding with this project.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
To build your project, you will need ALL the parts, that includes interaction display, printed circuit board, the controlling software embedded in a processor, the housing, the schematic, a proper bench with equipment to work on it, about 5 years of blood, sweat and tears for a novice (going fast) to gather all parts in very small quantities, a bunch of money and ordering parts via mail (if they are available) and waiting mailed parts and... keep counting...

BUY one that does what you want, dismantle/desolder it to single pieces. NOW you have in hand ALL the parts, circuit board, housing, buttons, display, software already developed and tested, with no waiting time.
Study how to put it back together while you have fun and learn the reverse engineering creating the schematic... Saved 5 years of blood, sweat, tears and frustrations.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I am kind of new to building circuitry.
Oh....OK. You need to start with something less ambitious. You need to develop your skills in smaller, achievable chunks. You need to learn to crawl and walk before you try to run a marathon. You might want to start with something simpler like using an Analog to Digital Converter inside a microprocessor to measure an unknown voltage and display the result. This knowledge will help you understand how audio data is sampled and recorded.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I do not need complicated parts for that, this is just a recorder.
I'm sorry but that statement in itself shows you don't realize what is involved.
You DO need complicated parts!

A camera, microphone, video A/D converter, an audio A/D converter, some some sort of timing and control circuitry, like a micro controller, power system, memory management, ....
Then you will have to develop a program for the micro controller.
It is like my Grandaughter wants me to help her make a robot. In her mind it is simple, but it is not.

Just because you can buy a little box on Ebay for a few dollars does not mean it is simple. What is inside one of those would have been impossible a few years ago, and represents many years of development. Most of these devices have more computing power than of a PC of 20 (or less) years ago.

There is no reason you cannot do this project but my advice is to start by building maybe an amplifier kit, and some other electronics, and work your way up after you get some experience.

Papabravo's advice is good. Like anything, you have to start somewhere. An audio/video recorder is not a start!
I too encourage you into electronics. It is a fascinating field, but please listen to those who have some experience. Generally people on this forum will go out of their way to help you if you are willing to accept their advice.

Last edited:

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Ok, sorry for my misunderstanding.
Have you built anything before?
A good place to start is getting an Arduino kit and following the instructions to learn to program, and add some basic electronics.
Have a look on Ebay for Arduino Starter Kits.

This is not a trivial project. I have designed and build an actual camera and imaging system for fruit sorting and it took a couple of years to get it going, then not too well.
One way could be to use a Raspberry Pi and its camera module if you want to make it your self. that is not really making it but just assembling and programming it.
But if you just want a small unit to do a job, it is better to buy one like in the links supplied. It will be way cheaper and better, but not as much fun. Building it your self is great, but you will not be able to approach the compactness and features of a commercial device, unless you are very good at it.