(Trying to know how to do it without 555 IC) How do we generate oscillating signals today?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
My point is that if one is going to use a microcontroller and set the frequency with a variable component, where is the advantage? A more common oscillator circuit will probably use less power and cost less and quite likely be more stable. The primary benefit of using a micro is to execute logic functions.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The primary benefit of using a micro is to execute logic functions.
Here is a recent example, I put together a small 8 pin Micro circuit that replicates a common dual 555 circuit out there someone provided for variable speed with PWM output for the common MC2100 TM boards.
Mine also includes stop and start function with only 102 bytes of code.. with far less components & much more stable.

555 circuit example it replaces.
1655140622045.png

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The primary benefit of using a micro is to execute logic functions.
And to simplify circuits, reduce components, minimize power, provide processing of multiple inputs/outputs, synchronize multiple functions, and possibly more.

If you’re view of a micro controller is just logic, you are limiting the possibilities you can design.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
where is the advantage?
I look at modern computers and microcontrollers as engineering marvels. Not only has every component been engineered to standard it has also been tested as ready for the user to build on with just a few lines of code. Plus, there are all kinds of things that can be done with a literally tiny 8 pin DIP such as ATtiny85 that would take up a ton of space. If the argument is - will an analog circuit specific for a purpose be better suited than a digital equivalent, then I suppose that depends on a case by case analysis of what is deemed important by the visionary.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am talking about a circuit created for achieving one specific purpose only. A current PC and software is created to do EVERYTHING, and to do most of it all at the same time. And that "few lines of code" winds up being the most horrible example of bloatware ever created. Certainly the hardware portion is a marvel while the code is a poorly thought out monstrosity. That is proved by the reality of weekly downloads to fix the assorted bugs and other problems.

The tiny processors are better, closer to that glowing description, but still far beyond what is required to produce a stable oscillation signal. In addition, a good oscillator circuit can be analyzed and understood very well, while the last adequate operating system manual that I saw occupied about twenty feet of shelf space. (That was a Unix manual many years ago).
So there really is no comparison applicable.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
I am talking about a circuit created for achieving one specific purpose only. A current PC and software is created to do EVERYTHING, and to do most of it all at the same time. And that "few lines of code" winds up being the most horrible example of bloatware ever created. Certainly the hardware portion is a marvel while the code is a poorly thought out monstrosity. That is proved by the reality of weekly downloads to fix the assorted bugs and other problems.

The tiny processors are better, closer to that glowing description, but still far beyond what is required to produce a stable oscillation signal. In addition, a good oscillator circuit can be analyzed and understood very well, while the last adequate operating system manual that I saw occupied about twenty feet of shelf space. (That was a Unix manual many years ago).
So there really is no comparison applicable.
Well there is a stretch between software gone wild and an Arduino blink sketch that often comes preloaded that outputs a square wave. For someone who just wants a basic frequency generator an Uno and a USB cable couldn't be easier. With 5 more minutes of learning you can have PWM. I've tried quite a few oscillator circuits and they are very prone to error at least with my setups. Even my junk uno clones put out a nice signal on the scope. When you say there is no comparison, are you referring to the integrity of the signal or some other reasons?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Well there is a stretch between software gone wild and an Arduino blink sketch that often comes preloaded that outputs a square wave. For someone who just wants a basic frequency generator an Uno and a USB cable couldn't be easier. With 5 more minutes of learning you can have PWM. I've tried quite a few oscillator circuits and they are very prone to error at least with my setups. Even my junk uno clones put out a nice signal on the scope. When you say there is no comparison, are you referring to the integrity of the signal or some other reasons?
Yep. I think you got that just about right. Iconoclasts are becoming an endangered species.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yep. I think you got that just about right. Iconoclasts are becoming an endangered species.
Of course a cobbled together oscillator assembly may not be as stable as you want. There is usually a benefit gained from doing things in a stable manner.
But every micro needs code, and even if that code is already loaded when you open the box, you still need resources to ask it to play. That USB cable needs to connect to something, by itself it does not do much for you. And that few lines of code are probably not just written down and presented to that micro. And why call a sequence of instructions by a different name?
One more thing is do any even understand what is going on inside that little black box? If some part does not deliver what is wanted, can any understand enough to know what to adjust? In a physical circuit it is possible to understand what is happening quite well.

There is a time and a place for both microcontrollers and analog components and they are not the same.
Also, understand that the real world is all analog, while the digital portion is all inside that box.