Trying to get rid of three picture tubes

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm with @Aleph(0) on this one! -- Inasmuch as you seem to appreciate Na spectra
I don't, "appreciate" yellow light. I don't sit outside with the mosquitoes and adore it. I just put up a couple of poles because there are no street lights around here. I calculated the amount of light I wanted, chose what was available 30 years ago, and installed it. It's just lumens to me. Nobody comes around my house at night because it's the best lit house in a quarter mile radius. The way you describe it, I might be setting the mood for sex???

Sorry. I'm male.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
#12 Don't feel too bad! I heard 1/2 the human race suffers from that affliction:p!
I dunno. My momma done tole me...every interaction with a woman is about sex.
I didn't believe her.
Now I understand that it's about sex in THEIR mind.

Looking back over the decades, I find a troubling number of times I thought I was visiting a friend, only to find out later that I must have had sex on my mind...because she said so.
Why would that bother me?
Because I wrote them off for doing that.
The hubris of pretending to read my mind!
Now, I hear I "like" sodium lights. It, "sets a mood".
Is that, "like"...or is it, "like, like"?
Get your mind out of the gutter.

That was stupid.
I might as well have said, "Quit thinking like a woman."

I find a troubling number of times I thought I was visiting a friend, only to find out later that I must have had sex on my mind...because she said so.
Yebut - I neither said, implied nor thought anything of the kind:confused:?

The hubris of pretending to read my mind!
But now the prejudgment is on your part (i.e. apparently you believe you can read my mind)?:confused:

Hey @#12 ? -- It seems that either the noun 'mood' has a rather different, I daresay quite curious, meaning in 'The Sunshine State' -OR- hurricanes exert an effect upon their 'attendees' not unlike that claimed of the full-phase moon...?:cool:

To be clear, my remarks in post #98 were merely by way of expression of my distaste for Na spectra via facetious 'alignment' of same with orange-yellow vomitus... By way of 'redirection', you too may rest assured that, much as I appreciate Hg spectra, I neither 'adore' it - nor, for that matter, become 'hot and bothered' while basking in the cold, cold ice blue rays thereof;););)

HP That's good idea if he's sure rate will hold until generator pays for itself cuz otherwise it's just a bad investment!
OMG! Really?!?! - What was your first clue?:rolleyes:

Orange barf? Why not just say Donald Trump's makeup:eek:
Hey, Aleph! Pat yourself on the back:) -- That earned you a 'free pass' Re: your sarky remarks:D:cool:

Best regards all around
HP:)

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
OMG! Really?!?! - What was your first clue?:rolleyes:
HP cool it with the attitude! I was just saying cuz your sd500 generators cost $300k each (which was almost msrp) so the sg250 probably costs abt $150k so I'm saying some ppl will be nervous about that investment! Also Some ppl might prefer to finance it which just increases its true price in the long run. So I say ppl should wait to see economy under new administration b4 purchase cuz if natural gas goes up or utilities go down they could be left with millstone!

...so the sg250 probably costs abt $150k
Given the well neigh 'linear' price structure of Generac industrial products, your approximation seems reasonable...

I'm saying some ppl will be nervous about that investment!
I was not advocating 'reckless' investment:confused: - But merely endorsing a manufacturer/product!:)

Also Some ppl might prefer to finance it which just increases its true price in the long run.
For that reason (among many others) - I do not and never have advised 'financing' (i.e. purchase via lending institutions) -- IMO, with few exceptions, unwillingness or inability to purchase outright is a good argument against purchase - period...

So I say ppl should wait to see economy under new administration b4 purchase
Investment is always 'risky' -- Again, my statement was merely an endorsement of a manufacturer/product line...
To any whom the cost represents significant expenditure/investment (or is otherwise fraught with appreciable risk) exercise of 'due diligence' is advised - but then I credit the readers with that much intelligence!:cool:

cuz if natural gas goes up or utilities go down they could be left with millstone!
FWIW It has long been my observation that industrial power products tend to 'hold their value' quite well:)

So, @Aleph(0) are 'we' having a bad day or am I missing something?:confused:

Best regards
HP

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
So, @Aleph(0) are 'we' having a bad day or am I missing something?:confused:
HP you're always invoking _reasonability_ when you're considering validity of assumptions so I'm saying it's not reasonable to expect someone who is economizing to save $200 dollars on monthly electric fees to have like $150 thousand dollars just lying around to buy generator that will take a long time to pay for itself:rolleyes:! HP I know you're right abt savings cuz running 250kw generator just for serious loading and battery charging and like 20 kw tsw inverter 24/7 for light arbitrary loading comes out way ahead for utility price of like you say above 11 cents/kwh but costs of generator+installation+probably finance charges make it not worth while unless he can sell surplus power to neighbors which involves a lot of red tape special taxes and bureaucratic dreck:rolleyes: HP I don't know but if he needed financing, monthly payment could exceed $600 which means no advantage at all until it's all paid up:(

HP I'm not trying to be like wet blanket it's just sometimes you totally forget other ppl can have totally different circumstances:rolleyes:

but if he needed financing, monthly payment could exceed $600 which means no advantage at all until it's all paid up:(
I respectfully disagree -- Please consider the following analogy:

Assume that, having a long-term requirement of a particular building, you lack the funds to purchase same outright -- Given the following choices - pick the 'winner':
A) Lease the property via a $400/Month fee - renewable for as long as the owner wishes to do business - thence walk away with nothing to show for your years of expenditure (bear in mind that, for purposes of this illustration, $400/Month is deemed non-trivial)

B
) Purchase the building via a loan (mortgage) then pay $700/month (principal, interest, required insurance, etc...) to the lending institution until 'paid off' -- Whence you are in full possession of said building...

Option B anyone?:)

Similarly -- Do you deem it 'reasonable' to 'stand still' for the POCO's (in all fairness the PUC's, EPA's, NRC's, etc, etc, etc...) ripoff - or would you prefer to spend a little more now toward much less expense later? -- Then too, I remind you that there are definite benefits to facility ownership beyond mere economy:cool:...

Granted! It is unfortunate when the initial expense must be financed - even so, such is commonplace, accepted and well-respected practice:) -- Given even a worst-case scenario wherein unanticipated financial difficulties result in foreclosure (CIP repossession) said outcome is only marginally less favorable than the guaranteed outcome sans attempt to purchase (to wit: termination of service sans acquisition of capital/facilities)

costs of generator+installation+probably finance charges
--Emphasis added--

If purchased directly from the manufacturer, shipment and installation (to most US locales) is gratis! -- the customer need provide only a shed featuring a 'Portland' floor 'poured' as specified by the manufacturer-provided installation brochure:)

unless he can sell surplus power to neighbors which involves a lot of red tape special taxes and bureaucratic dreck:rolleyes:
To say nothing of liability!:eek: -- IOW - I wholeheartedly concur with your assertion that attempting to start one's own 'neighborhood POCO' is a bad idea!:eek::eek::eek:

it's just sometimes you totally forget other ppl can have totally different circumstances:rolleyes:
And I would argue that my electing to so much as broach the topic of financing demonstrates that I'm more 'sensitive' in this regard than you seem determined to 'paint' me:rolleyes:

All the best
HP

--Disclaimer--
I am neither trained as a financial advisor nor do I claim any proficiency at said 'calling'! -- The reader is advised to view my comments (above) as just what they are - to wit: opinion:cool:

That said: I do not advise any arrangement whereby facilities are installed on real property to which the purchaser of the former is without clear title!

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
That said: I do not advise any arrangement whereby facilities are installed on real property to which the purchaser of the former is without clear title!
HP that's disclaimer that was all that was missing from your first post suggesting generator:) Cuz I say you're right that a generator is a good investment for homeowner who plans to be there in long term:)! And since industrial generators have transferable warranty and service contract it can increase resale value of property too:cool:!

Jazz2C

Joined May 27, 2016
Haha! @Hypatia's Protege and @Aleph(0)

When you need the pauper's perspective you can just ask me!:oops: But yeah I agree! Investment in real property is usually sound but you have to own! Otherwise you're only buying an excuse for the landlord to raise your rent!:rolleyes: