Trying to get rid of three picture tubes

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
As for charging by reactive power that's simple. With enough capacitance the reactive power can be pushed positive thus if a person loaded up their systems with enough capacitance their VAH meter Vs KWH meter would run backwards despite very little actual true wattage have been used.
So as a power supplier how would you factor my electric bill if I had a 200 watt baseload and 40 KVA of positive PF baseload running 24/7? o_O
Tcmtech that could happen with some old meters but its easy to meter according to absolute value of phase angle cuz it's basically just elf directional coupler:) I'm not sure about US but here in Canada industrial and commercial subscribers are liable for reactive _use_ but residential subscribers are exempt:confused:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Tcmtech that could happen with some old meters but its easy to meter according to absolute value of phase angle cuz it's basically just elf directional coupler:) I'm not sure about US but here in Canada industrial and commercial subscribers are liable for reactive _use_ but residential subscribers are exempt:confused:
The individual private person isn't worth the time and effort to chase after.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I wish the IRS shared that view!:eek::eek::eek::D

TTFN
HP:)
The private person can't afford the costs of what it takes to get through all the loopholes it takes to be tax free at the end of the day.

It's like how commercial rail and aviation are emissions exempt. They have the power to tell the government to take it's questionable regulations and go stuff itself.

Us individuals are too small to do that and by design too unorganized to band together and fight so we pay and pay and pay some more.

The private person can't afford the costs of what it takes to get through all the loopholes it takes to be tax free at the end of the day.

It's like how commercial rail and aviation are emissions exempt. They have the power to tell the government to take it's questionable regulations and go stuff itself.

Us individuals are too small to do that and by design too unorganized to band together and fight so we pay and pay and pay some more.
+1000:rolleyes:

Best regards

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Saving 400$ a month was that in California, I lived there for a bit a and the power bills where crazy.
That raises an interesting question - to wit: how much is 'crazy'? --- FWIW, around here (NE Mn) the residential rate averages a (modest?) $0.12/ kWh (Though my monthly usage often 'tops' 13,000 kWh:rolleyes:)

Best regards

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
FWIW, around here (NE Mn) the residential rate averages a (modest?) $0.12/ kWh (Though my monthly usage often 'tops' 13,000 kWh:rolleyes:)
Maybe you need to turn a few of the 50 foot high fountains off that line your driveway. :p

Latest rate hike here will put me at ~14 cents a KWH and I typically burn 1000 - 1500 a month. (I only have 5 foot fountains lining my driveway.):oops:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Wow that is a huge amount of power for one house, 2000kWh if I am not mistaken. On average that amounts to drawing 2.7kW nonstop, where does all that energy go? Our house has gas heating and hot water, but I doubt we get over 200kWh per month, four people live here.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Anything that pumps eats power: Swimming pool filters, lawn sprinklers, air conditioners, and those decorative fountains at HP's house.
Of those, I only have an air conditioner. Less that 1000KWh/month.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Your place probably looks like Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory on some nights.
It's not as 'romantic' as all that:( -- The breakdown is essentially 24/7 compressor-run A/C during the summer months and 'bubblers' to prevent ice damage to my Fincantieri during the 'off season'... That said, I do have way too much fun with my radiography and 'reverse' operated distribution transformers (for which I was obliged to install an on site 1MW 3θ substation:rolleyes:) --- Even so, my electrical experiments don't contribute much to my 'bill' considering such total perhaps a few hours use/hundreds of dollars per year at even full capacity (1 MW)...

Our power in California was 20 cents a KWH to keep it under 400$ we had to use a evaporative cooler and a cloths line, and in the winter a wood stove, not doing all that our power bill was 600$
:mad:PG&E:mad:
AIDayley
Inasmuch as ≈ $0.11/kWh is the 'break even point' -- It seems you could do better with a gas 'fired' genny? -- I can vouch for Generac:)

Best regards
HP

---Sincere disclaimer---
Apart from my status as a satisfied customer -- I have no connection with Generac whatever!:)

Last edited:

A Homeschoolers Workbench

Joined Jul 26, 2016
Anything that pumps eats power: Swimming pool filters, lawn sprinklers, air conditioners, and those decorative fountains at HP's house.
Of those, I only have an air conditioner. Less that 1000KWh/month.
We had a electric well pump that was the big thing we also had two refrigerates and three box freezers

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
to prevent ice damage to my Fincantieri during the 'off season'...
HP I say that tub of yours needs a veterinarian cuz it's just bulimic white elephant:rolleyes:!

Inasmuch as ≈ $0.11/kWh is the 'break even point' -- It seems you could do better with a gas 'fired' genny? -- I can vouch for Generac:)
HP That's good idea if he's sure rate will hold until generator pays for itself cuz otherwise it's just a bad investment!

Inasmuch as you seem to appreciate Na spectra -- Be advised that a couple bags of emetine-laced Cheetos will set a strikingly similar 'mood' at even less cost!:eek::eek::eek::p
HP Thanks for the visual NOT:rolleyes:! -- Orange barf? Why not just say Donald Trump's makeup:eek:!?
I agree abt sodium spectra though!